Wanting a saltwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScurdOfCychlidz

Aquarium Advice Regular
So as of now i have a 46-gallon FW setup. What do I need for a saltwater tank? (and we are talking budget :) )

I could probably use the same filter yes? Probably the same heater?

i would need:
live rock
live sand? or crushed coral?
power head
skimmer?

Plz add on! hehe thank you!

You could use the same filter, heater, ETC. You will need to change the gravel out for cc or live sand, I recommend the sand. If you want lr the I would suggest reveiwing your lighting, yes a powerhead would help, and a skimmer is a plus also.

Here's what I did with my 46 bow front,

live sand, live rock, used existing heater, filter, light, (I added a coralife duel unit in addition to the original), Skilter brand skimmer *they are noisey, and alot of people don't like it but it works and I can tell you how to make it work better), 2 penguiin 660 powerheads, and some homemade moon lights (got the directions for that too if you want it). :wink:

cool thx for the tips! yea i have a 46bow front so its good to kno i can use some exsisting parts!! Live rock is So damn expensive...is there any other way around it? or just bite the bullet put in the money up front so the years ahead will be smooth?
Thx again

I purchased dry base rock from the lfs. It was less than $1/lb. In my 75 gal, I used 80 lbs of lr, and 100 lbs of base rock. It has been about 4 mos and it looks better now.

i found a killer deal on ebay 50lbs (for my 46gal tank) for $160. fiji fully cured live rock..i think im going for that...then get some crushed coral and i be set...hopefully..haha

Just my personal preference, but sand looks nicer, and easier to maintain

Agreed. Sand will give you less headache. A good cleanup crew and you won't have to vacuum the sand at all. :mrgreen:

hmm sand eh? i actually never thought of doing sand...how many lbs of sand do you think i would need to cover the bottom of the tank?

I used 30 lbs in my 46 gal bow front. Could use a little more but I'm going to wait and see how it works out.

cool, you have ne pics 2cents?

In a day or so, I'm still in "white out" conditions. but picture sand 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the "base". I had an emergency and needed a QT fast so I dumped all my lr and most of my ls in my 150 to save it and now that I have a 29 gal QT I am in the process of setting the 46 back up. The only thing in it right now is sand, salt, and water. :roll:

I think the recommended amount is at least 3 inches for proper biological filtration to take place.

This might be true, I don't know. I would get someone with more experiance then me to work this out. Who knows I may need more sand myself :roll: .

decent deal at best?!?! haha all the rock places here charge at LEAST 5.29/lb and the link you had was 39$ higher than the ebay thing...The ebay auction is through www.waltsmith.com I chkd it out seems to be failry good company, also he has about 100 feedback on his live rock and everyone is very happy with it...i think im going to take my chance here.

btw thank you 4 the link..its good to kno whats out there.

please re-consider the crushed coral substrate idea. Many people feel that this is just a hotbed for nitrates. Plus your bottom dwellers won't like it.

Sand will have no harmful side effects, is much more natural looking, and your bottom dwellers will love it. ( and your tunneling critters in your live rock will love it too.)

Liverocks.com only charges 2.99 plus shipping per pound. I have ordered twice and you would do well to find rock with as much life on, in, and around it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok, ok. I'll get out the ole camera and bust out some pictures, been promising pictures of the 150 for 2 months now :oops: , guess it's time to take care of it. :mrgreen:

Ok, I got some pictures, waiting for them to be approved. As soon as they are they will be in my gallery (just figured out how to use it.) :oops:

Back
Top Bottom