Wanting to buy a Flowerhorn (Help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kentaaa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

As the title suggests, I am interested in starting a Flowerhorn tank in my office. I was going to setup a reef tank, but decided that for my office freshwater would probably be best. There were a few questions I had that I could not find a straight answer to on the internet.

I am thinking of starting with a 55-70 gallon tank. I know they can grow very large and should be housed in a larger tank but I will be purchasing a juvenile (as they are MUCH cheaper and I would love to see the progression of their colours as they grow). I will use a soft sand as my substrate so it will not be harmed while it digs. I know plants are a no-no so I was thinking of doing either a barren driftwood theme or having extensive rock work and doing a "shipwreck" theme.

I know Flowerhorns are VERY hardy fish and can withstand almost any water conditions but I still want to cycle the tank completley with my three Cherry Barbs that I keep around in a seperate five gallon tank just for this purpose. My tap water here is naturally at 8.0pH and that is what I will keep the tank at.

I have never owned Cichlids before. All of my tanks that I have ever done have been community, including the 46 gallon I have in operation right now. I know all Cichlids are not compatible with eachother. I have read some articles that say Flowerhorns must be kept alone. However, I have also read in other places that they can be housed with other Cichlids of similar or bigger size.

I would LOVE to have 1, 2, or 3 Parrot/Blood/Jellybean Cichlids in the tank with him as well. I would love to have an Arrowana as well but I'm almost positive they wouldn't be compatible. If a Flowerhorn can indeed cohabitate with others, what would you recommend as good tank mates? I would prefer to have a bottom feeder to clean up algae and vacuum the sand for leftover food since FHs are such messy eaters and eat meaty (heavy nitrate/trite producing) foods.

Finally, I am a little confused on where to purchase one at. None of my LFS stock them. There are some BEAUTIFUL specimens on eBay, but I don't know how I feel about buying from a person/small operation verses buying from a large scale operation company.

Other than that, does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions to ensure my future Flowerhorn has a happy and healthy home? Like I said I am a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to Cichlids so I want to make sure I am very well versed before purchasing it. I also don't want to jeopardize the safety of any possible tank mates as well.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Alex

IMO, buy a larger tank from the start. Not only will it be more cost effective in the long run, but you won't need to go through the work of starting another tank when they outgrow the smaller tank.
As for tank mates, I've never had flowerhorns, but from what I've read about them, they should be in a species tank. Certainly not with an arrowana, which can grow up to 24" in captivity. A sailfin or a common pleco would probably do ok as your bottom cleaner, as they get large enough that your flowerhorns likely wouldn't bother them. Again, common plecos can also get quite large.

Back
Top Bottom