Wanting to get started....HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm taking plenty of time to do research & want to start a FW aquarium right after the Holidays. I'm looking for a 15-18G (maybe 20G) due to lack of space :( Just want some advice on the best but reasonably priced tank to use. Do I want one with the filter in the hood or a hanging filter?...I'd like to incorporate live plants so I'm not sure of the substrate to use and what kinds of light. I'm gonna use low light and easy plants as I'm just a beginner. Thought about plastic plants but would love real ones.....I'm a newbie so any and all comments would be appreciated. Can't wait to get going and past the cycling part :)

:thanks:

Personally i like the biocubes. I just like that everything is made into the tank and its quite. Several small fish can but put in a small biocube and i think it would be the best tank to start off with.

Well...

First things first, either choose the fish you'd like to keep or choose the tank.

If you choose the fish, you get a tank to fit the fish.
If you choose the tank, you get fish that fit the tank. ;)

IMO bigger the better. Smaller tanks are harder to maintain because spikes / crashes can happen easier in them.

With that being said, if you can fit a 40g tank I think it's a perfect starter tank. You have lots of options with it too.

Filter options: Hanging filter is considered a HOB ( Hang on back ). The other option would be a Canister filter which is a filter that sits below the tank and uses hosing to take water out and put water back in. Most recommend getting two filters, or one very big one for the tank. Make sure to over-filtrate the system.

We can go on with the stocking plans, cycling and etc. once you know what size you're going to get!

Same with lighting ;)

Well bigger is definitely better! ;) A 20g is a nice start and gives you some flexibility with stocking. As for a filter, I'd go with an HOB. Personally, I like AquaClears because of the media options. Also sponge/foam blocks are much more convenient to clean, and don't have to be replaced. If you're going with low light plants, getting a glass top and a cheap T8 or T5 strip might be the best way. The stock hood lights usually can't support much more than java ferns and very low light plants. For substrate, eco complete or fluorite would benefit the plants, but sand or gravel would work as well. It all depends on your budget.

Btw, when I first started, I jumped right into a high light planted tank, it was a good learning experience. It costs a but more upfront, but is rewarding in the end.

If you want simplicity though, just sand/gravel, java ferns/moss and some anubias, and a T8 or hood lights will do.

--Adeeb

Does anyone recomend aquarium kits or should I purchase everything separately? Once purchased, do you fill with tap or bottled water? Sorry so many questions....I'm just trying to get the best advice :thanks:

I agree with bigger is better. I did the same that your thinking. I got a 20 GL kit that I regret. Like most said look for your fish first. You will eventually try to upgrade and it's better to do it now. Look on craiglist you will find some deals there

Yep, Craigslist is a good place to look. Don't go with a kit, you'll probably end up replacing half of it. Use tap water, and remember to add dechlorinator. Prime is a nice one.

-Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom