Wanting to start a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to start a pond but am doing my research before getting started. I have a bunch of koi inside in a tank that were given to me by someone who was tired of doing a pond. So fish will not be a problem.

Questions....Fishless cycle, I assume is still a good idea? Is it the same as for FW tanks? Add ammonia, maintain ammonia, and wait for nitrate? I have 10 tanks and run 15 filters so seeded media will not be an issue to assist in the cycle. Of course I will be getting a filter designed for ponds.

Water changes. Also the same as for FW tanks? Or not nearly as necessary? Do rainfalls affect pond parameters?

Gosh there is so much I don't know I have a million things zooming through my mind. I'll keep asking as time goes on and I think of questions.

TIA.

No need to go anywhere. There are plenty of experienced pond keepers on AA. ;)

Anne,
I treat my ponds like large tanks. Once established they are pretty easy to take care of. Filter media as well as plants will help give your pond a kick start on cycling. Depending on what all you add, ammonia may not be necessary. Adding the fish a few at a time helps too. Bog plants are great and I keep hornwort in my ponds as well. The fish eat it and they love to spawn in it.
Rainfall I never take into consideration but in essense, if the pond floods then I suppose that would be almost be a water change. lol I admit though, I only do water changes on my ponds about every other month but my ponds are very established at 6yrs old. What size pond are you planning?

I don't keep Koi for they are not as cold tolerant as commons. The Koi must or should be taken out of the extreme cold. I leave the commons in the pond year round with a de-icer. I do two 50 percent partial water changes. Once early spring,then fall. I use a pressurized cannister filter with built in UV sterilizer and floating plants to help control algae. Commons require at least 30 gallons per fish. Koi require much more space. I don't check water parameters often and have never lost a fish going on four years. I would be sure to get the proper size pond. I'm sure Koi owners will respond and have more to add.

I am shooting for at least 100 gals. In our climate the fish must come out when fall arrives. There is no doubt the fish would not tolerate the winters here. The ponds would freeze right over. Our lakes freeze to well over 12" deep. I want to go as large as I can manage for sizing. I guess I will have to check with the city as to whether there are any regulations on how deep a pond can be. I would definately cycle the pond as I am very fussy with my fish. There were in a 75 gal pond before. Because ponds aren't usually square, how does one calculate the amount of gals the pond is?

Back
Top Bottom