WARNING!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just wanted to relay a recent experience with the US Postal service.

I sent two boxes via priority mail to two seperate members here. One of them lives about 5-6 hours away, the other 3 states away. I shippied at 8:30 Tuesday morning. The closest member got theirs Friday afternoon and as of today, the other member has yet to receive theirs.

I called the post office and they informed me there is NO guarantee of any kind on priority mail, that it is just a rule of thumb that you will get it in 2-3 days.

If it is something you are concerned about, I would definitely recommend you use a different method of shipping. Surprisingly, the macro lived through it, not so sure the frags will.

USPS has tracking numbers for their Priority Mail... I received a package from A H Supply, and tracked it all the way to my house...I believe I have had one or two go missing from UPS and Fed Ex in my time... These things do happen...USPS is much cheaper still.. I am not making light of the subject, but the USPS has the same, if not more options for safe keeping of package delivery than their competitors. You also have the option of insuring the package.. Of course you have to go to the Post Office to get those options in shipping, or do it all on line...

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

I just sold my online stores. I was shipping out over 50 boxes a day for 3 years. I started with USPS and I changed to UPS for many reasons. First of all, UPS is the only one that guarantees all of their services including ground. Second, UPS is actually cheaper in the long run. USPS makes it sound cheap by quoting a 1lb box. Compare a 20lb box to an address and see how it comes out. It will be cheaper with UPS. UPS also includes $100 insurance with every shipment. They also include tracking with every shipment. UPS's tracking has a real tracking also where USPS has a "Delivery Confirmation". Sometimes packages from USPS travel days with no tracking.

In my three years, USPS lost 1% of all packages. Every other day that I was reshipping something and eating the cost. With UPS, they only lost a few packages and they paid for Next Day Air and paid out on insurance and a few weeks on the first package. I will never use USPS again for anything, I don't even send letters/bills anymore with them (All electronic or UPS if paper is needed).

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make USPS sound like the best option, they are definately not that, however, I share a different experience and do know that there are quite a few options now through them, that they did not used to offer...Like insurance. If you choose that option, they are responsible for the amount you insure it for...
Another side note.. UPS only automatically insures $100 for business accounts( if opted for). Not residential or walk in service...You have to pay for that seperately.

Man was Hara right! I was the person getting Hara's frags. The postman (a friendly guy who puts up with my **** Tzu harrasing him everyday with a smile) would not make eye contact with me and said he was embarrased to give me the package.

It looked like the fed-ex letter from the movie "Castaway" that Tom Hanks had on the island for four years AFTER a plane crash!!! Crush on one side - puntured on another and a day late. Water was leaking out of it and one of the frags had turned into an applesauce in water like mixture.... And all this was with a package that had obviously been well packed!

-Patrick

Sorry to hear it Fernzpat. Sometimes no matter how hard you try to package right there is an accident or mis handling that ruins everything. BTW, did you rule out a Seminole fan wrecking your package because your a Gator fan!! Those guys are always starting trouble! lol

I'm using Fed Ex at the moment. If you set up an account with them (free) and pre print your airbills online, you get about 10% off on overnight shipping. Plus Fed Ex is convenient to where I live. So far, I have been happy with them. Sorry to hear about the frags.

I agree i have most items shipped FedEx and cannot complain about them at all very good service and always on time. Never had a package lost or damaged. In fact they are soo good with my live arrivals that they put them in the office to keep them warm and at the right temp! The lady at the station is just hilarious and always cracking jokes that im going to have a fish fry! :lol: Although im not i hope anyways! 8O FedEx is the best service that i have found in my area and wont change for anything!

FYI and in defense of "snailmail"

As a former member of the USPS (on hiatus), I must mention that for people that live in rural areas and during holidays...the much maligned USPS is quite often the one who delivers both FED EX AND UPS packages. It is cheaper and more efficient for them to send it that day with the rural carrier, than send a driver deep in hard to navigate (no street signs or visible addresses, driveways with multiple homes )territory and pay the mileage and fuel for it. I handled at least 8 packages that were from a private mail service every day. And it was already a day late half the time. So they are not all that good.

Automation has made exact and clear addressing more important. Your rural carrier may "know" you, but it needs to reach his station first.
"Priority" mail hasn't been guaranteed for over 3 years. 4 now. And it is states it clearly on the slip. It was raising expenses for carriers to treat EVERY package like a secure package or insured items. As well as slowing the processing of these same costly services.
Certain zip code locations are "off-route" and take an extra day. These are usually small towns that are quite removed from a city nexus or Interstate. Like Payson Arizona. 100 miles form Flagstaff/Tuscon/Phx equally and on a mtn hwy. While living there, Fed Ex delivered an envelope to me on Monday that was supposed to be overnight by Friday! Refunds can't get the ticket paid/the fish revived/ the birthday gift on time. That is one advantage of private companies, the xtra cost covers their offered automatic insurance and you have better recourse. The average letter or package takes two days to go from one state to another. But small post offices sometimes do not get the packages to the 5:30 truck and the package gets delayed. Most delays are at the local level. Distribution centers are big complex machines and all mail flows through quickly.

And most definitely, the box need to be marked PERISHABLE or LIVE in order to get special handling. And marked by the post office as a paid service. EVERYBODY marks their package as "special" in hopes of getting it faster or safer through. Therefore such marks are ignored. And the machines don't see them at all.
Because the 2lbs/$2 was so nice people were flooding our special services dept. And often the packages were not just 2lbs. So alas, it is gone except in name.
Another important to know:
Packages that do not go to the safe cage for hand sorting or Express delivery tracking, gets sorted and Tossed in bins. Packages of varying sizes (read: WEIGHT) then go flying into these 6x5x3 rolling cages before being rolled into a truck. Rough way to go! And if a leak shows it is put into the quarantine to be x-rayed and checked. And any packages that get tainted/leaked on. It is stricter since 911! This can add another day or even 2! And then if it is "safe" it is bagged and marked on why it looks like it does. And the other packages are sent along at that time too
I have had to use my air conditioner on lovely days to comfort baby rabbits or a box full of poultry. They stay in the station and are usually special delivered unless marked permissable. Every agency has off years or bad employes. None are really that much better. They are parity products. UPS left an insured, signature required 10K painting on my uncovered front porch in the rain just last year. I will still use them when shipping oversize or odd items. But they no longer inspire any faith on my part. Don't put faith in any of them, take EVERY precaution!
However I will say...DON"T USE PRIORITY MAIL! You are better served sending it first class. It is handled the same and usually will arrive at the same time. If it is really time sensitive, Express and insured is the only way to go. Animal shipping is a risky venture no matter how you look at it. To bad there are no companies specializing in that.

:) So be nice about your poor USPS. It was the only self- sustaining govt agency for decades. It has been working with overload for years, got unionized
(meaning some non-reliable people sitting pretty with tenure and it has 4 distinct unions which all have different payscales) and has had to compete with private markets that don't have to follow the same bureucratic nonsense.

Interesting education Christmasfish!

In Hara's defense (not that your statements were an attack) I live just within the city limits in Tallahassee, FL. So my package from her was not exactly "rural".

I think Hara's point was why have "priority" mail at all if there is no noticeable speed or quality upgrade? That's called good ol' capitalistic marketing to me, which is fine but the service provider should expect some negative feedback when they raise (then lower again!) our expectations...

It's interesting what you said about USPS delivering some private mail... I was puzzled how my recent UPS package showed up in the mailbox the other day. I thought they shared keys or something.

P.S. One of Hara's frags survived and is doing quite well, props for her careful packaging...

So my package from her was not exactly "rural".

Lisa does live in what can be classified as rural. Time delays work both ways. If it takes longer to get packages out of her area then it will be delayed in getting to you even if your living right next door to the city postoffice.

I haven't shipped anything live, but when I move I often ship my computer to myself. I travel light and have had great success from FedEx. They always insured my computer and nothing has ever broken, yet. They did miss getting it to me overnight once and were 1 day late but ate the cost of the whole thing (that was good for me). Of course this is up in good ole Canada where our postal service has many layers or Expedient mail.

See.....and that's why I don't think I'll every order anything live...online. They get so beat down from being tossed around probably on purpose too becuase of some loser worker having a bad day. :roll:

Bonestock, how do you think your LFS gets their fish. Most of them get them via the same shipper and under the same conditions.

Ordering live stuff is always going to be somewhat of a gamble, regardless of the carrier. I've read horror stories for just about all of them..

But you got to do what you got to do. If the fish is $20 locally, and $5 online...

I should follow my own statements though. I never did my shelly tank for that very reason, and I was afraid of shipping fish, cause I'm not home during the day. Maybe this summer, when it's warm again and won't be as serious if they sit in the apartment complex office for an hour or three. I don't think fish enjoy the current 32 degree weather GA has (And yes, I know some of you are much worse than we are, but damn it, we're not used to it :p)

I am a letter carrier myself. I agree with what christmasfish said. I try to take care of every package like it is my own, but there are times that they come to me in bad condition. I can do everything I can but I have to rely on other employees to take the same care. Unfortunately not everyone takes pride in their work, but UPS and Fedex probably have the same problem. I would stick to first class with insurance and maybe delivery confirmation. It is supposed to be tracked every step of the way. Good luck with any of your future mailings. Whoever it is you use.
Jim

i do know that the usps handles twice the volume of all other mail/package delivery companies/organizations COMBINED. so go easy on them :mrgreen:

fishfreek said:
Bonestock, how do you think your LFS gets their fish. Most of them get them via the same shipper and under the same conditions.

fishfreek,

I used to work at a petstore and when I'd get the shipments in....they'd come in carts or pallets....with clear signs on it saying live fish and all....I don't think someone can toss a pallet around like a football and drop it and all so easlily...granted they can be careless with a pallet jack and suck but most likely not.....

Plus when we get them in we acclimate them and pull out the none survivors... :( Then they stay for atleast a week before we "try" selling them to customers....(sometimes customers take the risk) Then we pull out the none survivors again... :cry:

But this way now when you take a fish home from the store it's only from the store to your home in YOUR hands.

I don't know...I'm just worried about getting a dead fish or one that's about to die or diseased.

Do they have garantees on these fish ordered from an online dealer?

Do they have garantees on these fish ordered from an online dealer?
Yes. Many reputible online dealers offer an "arive alive" or "stay alive" guaruntee. When you order something from an individual it is my opinion that you should be familiar with that individual personaly (obviously not IN person... you get my point). From what I can read on this board alone, Hara trades with many folks quite successfuly. As with anyone and anything that is done multiple times, eventually at least one trade will go bad. If you wish to avoid the risk of loss of life all together then it is certainly an option not to buy from online retailers. But that limits you to only being able to get what you can find at your LFS. Some of us don't have very many options in that regard.

All livestock should be shipped overnight. Whether delicate Semi-Lavarus or Live Rock, they should not withstand more than 24 hrs in shipping. USPS gives you a guarantee for either 12 noon or 3pm next day unless your in a rural area, then it's a 2 day guarantee. Your express package is automatically insured up to $500 and if it's 1 minute late, then the shipper can claim for the postage.
I agree that oversized, heavy packages are better shipped UPS, but has anyone checked out the price difference between USPS overnight mail vs UPS next day & Fedex? Most of the time it's a 50% increase for the average joe mailer unless you have a business account.
Most people would be surprised that Airborne/DHL, UPS and a whole slew of consolidators drop off their ground packages to the USPS stations for final delivery cause it's not worth it for them to deliver these items.
Did you know that Fedex rents space in front of every USPS lobby for their overnight drop boxes, in return the USPS also pays Fedex millions of dollars to fly their overnight & priority mail on their cargo planes.
Ever bring a VCR to a UPS store (formerly Mailboxes Etc.), They charge you $20 to box the item with bubblewrap & styrofoam peanuts, then charge you another $20 to ship via ground (cheapest way) with an insured value of $200.
You could have boxed the VCR yourself, brought it in to the Post Office and shipped it Parcel Post (ground service) with $200 insurance and Delivery Confirmation for $17.30

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom