wartskin angler and tank mates???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanderer90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone and TIA for the advice....
want to get a wartskin angler and was wondering what kind of tank mates would be ok in it.... have a 150 gal tank with live sand and live rock... right now have red cleaner shrimp, banded coral shrimp, scooter blenny, 2 sergeant major damsels, domino damsels, yellow tang and some snails. Then inverts are gonna go in a nano reef with the blenny and domino, but what else can i actually put in the tank with the little guy?

TIA,
Leo

Well don't let the little guy fool you, because he may be little but he has a huge mouth. Personally I would also take out the seargeant major damsels. Anglers can swallow fish that are as long as it and bigger. The Wartskin gets around 4 inches long, so I would go with a fish around 6 inches at the smallest, just so you know you won't lose any fish to the angler.

I recommend Angels (Emperor, Korean), certain Wrasses (Harlequin Tusk, Dragon Wrasse), certain triggers (Blue Jaw, Crosshatch, Sargassum).

Hope this helps.

well you got to be careful because those two types of fish also will eat whatever will fit in their mouths. If you want a lionfish I would go with either a Fuzzy Dwarf or a Radiata, if you go with a Volitan there is a good chance he will eat your angler.

As for the eel, well, thats a tough, you would be taking a risk that is almost certain that you will lose a fish. See Eels hunt at night and Anglers don't swim very well, so there is a good chance your angler will get eaten. But if I had to choose an Eel I would go with the snowflake because it is one of the smaller eels.

Hope this helps

I somehow doubt the angler will be a problem with an eel but that will depend on the species. Even though poor swimmers, Anglers/leaffish/frogfish are very well defended and should not be a concern. If you stick with less aggressive eels like the snowflake or zebra moray's, you should be okay. They are easily "tamed" through regular feedings and are not typically fish hunters but rather shellfish predators.

I kept a snowflake moray with a frog fish for somethime without issues.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom