was given a used 30 gallon including fish- Need to get it home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, that's a Common Pleco. No doubt. Mine looks exactly like that one.

Sadly, most people, (myself included), purchase these little cuties only to find out that they get too big for most tanks. Unfortunately, they're very popular to stock at LFS's and most of the "experts" at the LFS's don't know how big they get, nor do they offer to tell you if they do know. That's what I ran into w/ mine. My Pleco was more or less an impulse buy at the LFS and the "genius" that worked there told me that a 55 gallon would be fine. Eh, yeah, for now! lol I do plan to rehome him when he gets too big though. But for now, he's digging his Mopani driftwood and is doing a great job keeping my tank clean, (minus his poo... he does drop a lot of that!).

All you can do at this point is keep your Pleco happy and healthy. Load up on the Algae Wafers, (I feed mine 1 a day-at dinner), and consider getting him some driftwood, (it helps w/ their digestive system). I've had great luck w/ Mopani driftwood. Enjoy him and his small size for now because soon he will get too big and you will need to part w/ him. :( That is unless you were to get a larger tank.

Oh and congrats on your new tank! (y) When are you planning to pick it up?

Yep, that's a Common Pleco. No doubt. Mine looks exactly like that one.

Sadly, most people, (myself included), purchase these little cuties only to find out that they get too big for most tanks. Unfortunately, they're very popular to stock at LFS's and most of the "experts" at the LFS's don't know how big they get, nor do they offer to tell you if they do know. That's what I ran into w/ mine. My Pleco was more or less an impulse buy at the LFS and the "genius" that worked there told me that a 55 gallon would be fine. Eh, yeah, for now! lol I do plan to rehome him when he gets too big though. But for now, he's digging his Mopani driftwood and is doing a great job keeping my tank clean, (minus his poo... he does drop a lot of that!).

All you can do at this point is keep your Pleco happy and healthy. Load up on the Algae Wafers, (I feed mine 1 a day-at dinner), and consider getting him some driftwood, (it helps w/ their digestive system). I've had great luck w/ Mopani driftwood. Enjoy him and his small size for now because soon he will get too big and you will need to part w/ him. :( That is unless you were to get a larger tank.

Oh and congrats on your new tank! (y) When are you planning to pick it up?

She claims to have had it about 4 yrs and it is only about 6 inches... does that sound right? From what I am gathering they grow quick.. you would think he would be bigger, no?? How big is too big for my size tank? I want him/her to be comfortable. I Will definatley get some wafers and driftwood. Looking at the tank today I noticed that pictures werent very truthful. It isnt the cleanest tank. She said she cleaned it 2 & 1/2 MONTHS ago! Isnt ot supose to be cleaned more frequently that every few months???
Anyways, I am supose to pick it up this weekend.. cant wait!! :) I was pleasantly suprised to find 2 frogs in the tank as well so cute!!! lol

Well, 24 inches is their max. Size, and yours probably was stunted if she had it that long. They really need a 125 gallon tank, and experts say that's too small! Since it sounds like he was stunted, I guess he'll be fine in that size, but he would definitely be happier in a 55 gallon or bigger.

Yeah, she is not taking care of that tank very good obviously. 2.5 months for cleaning the tank is way too long. You should at least partial change the water weekly and vacuum the gravel.

Welcome to the hobby...you will get addicted very easy...I swear on that. LOL!

Well, 24 inches is their max. Size, and yours probably was stunted if she had it that long. They really need a 125 gallon tank, and experts say that's too small! Since it sounds like he was stunted, I guess he'll be fine in that size, but he would definitely be happier in a 55 gallon or bigger.

I agree I will have to work on that. *sigh*:cry:
I dont think she knew what she was doing.It was obvious that she wanted them just to have them. There isnt much in her tank.. no plant one rock cave and a castle type thing in the corner, brown gravel and a stick on coral thing that sticks on the glass on the inside of the tank in the back. That was it. Def have to do some shopping!! :cool:

What kind of fish?

I had to move a 20 gallon tank across town once... I put everything in a bucket, emptied half the water, left the other half of the water, and the fish in it, and drove *very* carefully. Total drive time was only 20 minutes, and putting the tank back together was the very first thing I did. Fish were only slightly disgruntled, but came through it fine... (A pair of blue discus)

That was about 15 years ago, though.. For all I know, someone invented some new and improved system.

I wouldn't drive with any water in the tank... It simply isn't worth putting the stress on the silicone. Even if you didn't cause a leak then, the stress caused might cause the tank to fail in 2-3 years rather than 20-30.

You'd find it a lot easier to buy a plastic garbage container and put some of the tank water and all the fish into that, but buckets would be better.

I do have one other question for now.... When she moved the rock cave to show me the Pleco, ALOT of stuff floated around. More than when I saw before she moved it. Wasnt black was white/clearish sort of slimmy looking stuff. Now when I move the tank to my new place should I do a complete water change and NOT use the water from the tank? I really dont want all the crap back in the tank. If so, what are the step I have to take to do this safely?

That was probably decaying food indicating that she really has no interest in cleaning or keeping her fish healthy. Good thing your taking them on to give them a better home. You just really need to stir up the gravel or vacuum it. When you stir it up the filter will suck it in. Then clean the filter in the old tank water to get all the gunk out. It should be fine after you so that. You don't want to have to cycle the tank again.

Edit*
Maybe you should do tests on the water first see what the parameters are. If its that dirty you might have to do a few PWC after you clean it up the first time.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Yeah either decaying food or Pleco poop if it was long and stringy. White poop though is usually a sign of parasites, but with plecos it can be a lack of driftwood.

Oh ok.. she claims to have put a new filter in about 2 months ago, so hopefully this will work well. Its ok to do this with the fish in the tank? Or should I just add most of the old water (leaving enough for them in the bucket of course), & remaining with tap mixed with the proper chemicals then when everything is clear and safe add them in the tank with the net?
Sorry about all the questions just want to make sure I am doing things right.
OH one more question, apparently she has a few different kinds of fish in her tank and to my suprise 2 little frogs, If there are so many different foods for the different speices what/how do I feed them? She has been using just one kind of flake.. for tetras i believe. Is that ok for them all to have??

missyanne280 said:
Oh ok.. she claims to have put a new filter in about 2 months ago, so hopefully this will work well. Its ok to do this with the fish in the tank? Or should I just add most of the old water (leaving enough for them in the bucket of course), & remaining with tap mixed with the proper chemicals then when everything is clear and safe add them in the tank with the net?
Sorry about all the questions just want to make sure I am doing things right.
OH one more question, apparently she has a few different kinds of fish in her tank and to my suprise 2 little frogs, If there are so many different foods for the different speices what/how do I feed them? She has been using just one kind of flake.. for tetras i believe. Is that ok for them all to have??

I would keep them in the bucket for this. I usually leave mine in the tank when I do it but who know how much decaying matter is in there. After the water clears then put them back in.

You need to get some pellets for the frogs they won't go to the top to eat. The Pleco needs algae wafers and driftwood too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I Am reading alot about the driftwood... what would you all recommend for a common pleco? Is there one that isnt going to release so much tannins?

You'd need to be able to guarantee the source to know whether it will or not. Unfortunately you just never know... I use Malaysian Driftwood from a seller on eBay called Mikeswetpets exclusively because his wood has never released any and I never had to boil it to make that happen.

You'd need to be able to guarantee the source to know whether it will or not. Unfortunately you just never know... I use Malaysian Driftwood from a seller on eBay called Mikeswetpets exclusively because his wood has never released any and I never had to boil it to make that happen.
great! I have an ebay account so I will look them up thanks. Did you have to soak it for it to sink?

No, it's a hardwood, so it's heavy and will sink straight away. It's only usually the softwoods which float.

I Am reading alot about the driftwood... what would you all recommend for a common pleco? Is there one that isnt going to release so much tannins?

I never boiled my Mopani, but I did soak it in a bucket full of really hot water, (soaked in the AM, poured out, soaked again in the PM - repeated this for a total of 10 days). On the 10th day, I took a sterile toothbrush and scrubbed the grooves of the wood to free up any debris. I then soaked it one more time in the bucket for about 6 hours or so. The water in this bucket was conditioned using Prime.

Mopani is a hardwood like Malaysian wood and it sunk right to the bottom w/ no problem. I also have yet to see any water discoloration, (so either it released very little tannins or I really cleaned the crap out of it)! :D lol

I found mine at Petco in the reptile section, (why they don't also have driftwood in the fish section is beyond me! lol).

Back
Top Bottom