Washing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I've been wondering for ages, how do you clean sand before putting it in a tank?

With the gravel in my tank, I put it in a sieve and flushed it with water. How do I rinse sand?

Put a few pounds of sand in a bucket, run water into it, and stir it with your hands. It takes a while, but the light silt should float to the top and run out as the water overflows. I've heard using a pillowcase as a sieve works too, but I haven't tried that.

Some sand is dirtier than others. My play sand required a lot of rinsing while my Quickrete Medium sand and Black Blast blasting compound required little to no rinsing.

Yep.. or you can do the lazy method like me. Put it in the tank, and add 6-8" of water, stir it up real good, drain, repeat until it stays clear even when stirring vigorously. I've used my method countless times... Just makes more sense when you're doing this on a tank that requires more sand than a 5g bucket holds... my opinion of course.

Disclaimer: You DO NOT want to do this if you use the old school water changing method (ie using buckets to tote water back and forth. This would be ridiculous without a python or similar off brand product.

Put a few pounds of sand in a bucket, run water into it, and stir it with your hands. It takes a while, but the light silt should float to the top and run out as the water overflows. I've heard using a pillowcase as a sieve works too, but I haven't tried that.

Some sand is dirtier than others. My play sand required a lot of rinsing while my Quickrete Medium sand and Black Blast blasting compound required little to no rinsing.

This is the method I used. Just keep adding, stirring, then draining water until the water becomes clear. I rinsed only 5x and it put it in my tank and it was cloudy for 48hrs. Then I read I was suppose to wait until it was clear.

Back
Top Bottom