Wat play sand can i use for my 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
Heard play sand is cheaper than the aquarium
Sand so which on of these can i use? From lowes:

image-572522383.jpg

image-3014954055.jpg

image-3521900905.jpg

image-4201069837.jpg

Quikrete Play Sand. That's what I have used. You just have to rinse it really, really well. You can pick that up at most hardware stores. Also like what was mentioned if you get the PFS. Just depends on what you like.

I've used the Quikrete Play Sand 50lbs (w/ 29 reviews in your pic) in quite a few tanks. It is dusty so you'll have to rinse it well before adding. I recommend throwing it in a pillow case and sticking a garden hose down in it and stir until the water that runs out the bottom turns clear.

I like the play sand better than PFS.

50 lbs enough for a 29 gal long tank and a 35 gal hexagon tank? How do I hold my fish in a bucket or another tank while I change from pebble to sand? Do I just tank water from my tank that their in and put some in another tank so it's the same water? Also would the tank be a good idea with 2 yellow eared slider turtles?

I just switched mine over like you plan to and I grabbed a spare 20 gallon I had laying around. I rinsed it out, filled it with my tanks water, threw in a bubbler and heater, then added my fish. So far, everyone has survived the ordeal, although I finished it around 10 pm (EST) last night

Talk to a pool supply store and look into pool filter sand

+1 - my play sand was awful, it stayed muddy forever and everytime my catfish scavenged in it, he raised big clouds of muck. I just switched it out.

I have pool filter sand in my other tanks and have no issues with it.

LyndaB said:
+1 - my play sand was awful, it stayed muddy forever and everytime my catfish scavenged in it, he raised big clouds of muck. I just switched it out.

I have pool filter sand in my other tanks and have no issues with it.

I just switched to play sand and while it is indeed taking forever to settle, it is working out quite nicely, no clouds at all when my fish are in it lol then again, I don't have any big diggers

I answer the substrate swap question a lot so I wrote it all down:

-Unplug heater
-Start draining tank halfway
-Remove decor
-Fill bucket with tank water
-Unplug filter and put media in bucket with tank water
-Net fish and add to bucket with media
-Drain rest of the way
-Use a container to scoop gravel out (or if you have a wet/dry shop vacuum, use that, it's sooo much easier)
-Rinse substrate (recommend using pillow case trick)
-Add Substrate
-Add base decor
-Add water halfway
-Plug heater in
-Add rest of decor/plants
-Fill up rest of the way with water
-Treat water with conditioner
-Drip acclimate fish
-Set filter up
-Net fish back to tank after drip acclimation

The pillow case trick is the slickest thing I've ever learned. Get a clean pillow case. Dump 10-15lbs of sand in it at a time, stick your garden hose down in the case and stir the sand around with the water on. Keep doing this until the water that is running out of the bottom comes out clear.

As far as bottom dwellers in playsand... I have no issues. I have 5 geos (earth eaters - aptly named too) with playsand that constantly scoop up mouthfuls of sand and spit it all over the tank. I have no issues with it clouding up or being murky.

Edit: I also have cories, a clown loach, upside down cat, and loaches that don't stir up the sand either.

I've never drip acclimated my fish so how long should I do that for?

Mikejr20 said:
Also would the tank be a good idea with 2 yellow eared slider turtles?

sorry just noticed my mistake I meant to say is the play sand gonna be a good idea with the two turtles cause they've been digging lately. Also I have two crayfish and a pleco who spend a lot of time on the tank floor. My other fish I'm not to worried about they still around the mid tank area. I did buy the quikrete play sand so tomorrow I'll do the switch and take before and after pics.

I've never drip acclimated my fish so how long should I do that for?

I usually plop the fish in the bucket with some of their current tank water and then start the drip. I let the volume of water double, dump half out, let the volume double again. It usually takes right around 45 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom