Watch changing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grannysneo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125 gallon tank . Yesterday I went to a Big chain store. To give them a blue gourami that just wasn't working in my tank ( it had been give to me along with a Pleco & equipment ) I took a water sample in as I went. The sample come back showing my tank is cycled. I have been taking roughly 20 gallons a week out to change . ( my tank looks kinda empty but I think I am through with stocking my tank except for adding another clown loach . I have 2 around an inch long ) anyway this lady. Said I could back off of my water changes and not do them so often or as much water! Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is in the tank for stocking? 20 gallons out of a 125 gallons a week would be the bare minimum. I would change that much of there was only a guppy in there. I'm guessing she used test strips to test the water, didn't she?

No she used some kind of drops that she put in 5 different tubes of water . In my tank I have 1 blood parrot ( 1 ")
1 long fin oscar ( 1 1/2") 2 angels (2" -- I know tat eventually they will have to come out) 3 silver dollars ( nickel sized) 2 clown loaches ( 1") and 2 convicts (2") plus 1 Pleco ( 8") . The tank looks kinda empty cause they all babies but the Pleco but I got plenty of plants ( plastic) n caves. I'm thinking 1 more clown loach should do it . They have plenty of room to swim & play . The blood parrot adds color and I have movement at every level . What more could I want in a tank ;-)

Forgot to add that at this point in time everything gets along so it's a really peaceful tank . The gourami was nipping on the fins of my oscar.

That's a lot of stocking. It won't look empty for long. You will need to do more not less. 75% once a week now. Double that once the oscar gets to be the same size as the pleco. The tank is really only big enough for the oscar, the pleco and the silver dollars. But I would add 2-3 more silver dollars, they should be kept as a group of 6 or more. I had 10 with my oscar in my 125. Then I would rehome all but the pleco, oscar and dollars. You will have to do 2, 50-75% water changes a week with just those. Clown loaches also should be kept in larger groups.

That's a lot of stocking. It won't look empty for long. You will need to do more not less. 75% once a week now. Double that once the oscar gets to be the same size as the pleco. The tank is really only big enough for the oscar, the pleco and the silver dollars. But I would add 2-3 more silver dollars, they should be kept as a group of 6 or more. I had 10 with my oscar in my 125. Then I would rehome all but the pleco, oscar and dollars. You will have to do 2, 50-75% water changes a week with just those. Clown loaches also should be kept in larger groups.

Agreed, you have some monsters waiting to grow.

+1

Fishobsessed7

I will keep an eye on my fish but I don't plan to rehome unless there is a problem

Back
Top Bottom