Water caterpillar!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zemerys

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys so i have some plants in my shrimp tank which I snatched from my main tank which has a lot of plants... And I noticed that there seems to be a bit of deforestation going on on my shrimp tank... One night I saw something eating the leaves! It looks and acts like a caterpillar and is green. So i removed all the plants from both my main tank and shrimp tank and cleaned them and I got soooo many of them!! I remved them and washed the plants thoroughly. Now unless they will become beautiful water butterflies I want to make sure I get rid of them. Do you guys know how?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445482149.478733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure what that is, but it looks like it just crawled out of the 7th level of hell. One thing you could try is putting a fish in the tank that will eat it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure what that is, but it looks like it just crawled out of the 7th level of hell. One thing you could try is putting a fish in the tank that will eat it.

I know right?! I do have fish in my main tank yet they managed to multiply.

They build a tiny nest made of the leaves which they fold towards them and then start munching inside it.

I remember when i washed my plant and shook it and rinsed it. They fell down and looked like a bunch of maggots! Ewrrgghjk still gives me the creeps.

OMG that's horrible! I hope that tank isn't in your bedroom, that would be even more creepy. I'd worry about them getting out of the tank. Did you do a dip on the plants to kill them off? They remind me of the green caterpillars that eat tomato plants. Flush them down the toilet or douse with gasoline and light on fire! Ewww

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great... one more thing that can ruin a planted tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

OMG that's horrible! I hope that tank isn't in your bedroom, that would be even more creepy. I'd worry about them getting out of the tank. Did you do a dip on the plants to kill them off? They remind me of the green caterpillars that eat tomato plants. Flush them down the toilet or douse with gasoline and light on fire! Ewww

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those tomato caterpillars can get to the size of bratwurst and are eating machines. What creeps me out is when you pick them up there is an overripe squishiness about them.
Anyhow, more info on those aquatic caterpillars.

I know right?! I do have fish in my main tank yet they managed to multiply.

They build a tiny nest made of the leaves which they fold towards them and then start munching inside it.

I remember when i washed my plant and shook it and rinsed it. They fell down and looked like a bunch of maggots! Ewrrgghjk still gives me the creeps.

Oh, no way! That would be the end of my fish-keeping days.

I did clean the plants before putting them in my tank. But never have i ever seen these things before....and they stick themselves in their leaf nest so unless you destroy the leaves you wont see them.

Their big enuf to not fit into my balloon mollies mouths. Even the bettas refuse to eat them.

At least... They dont eat moss. But my anubias have holes in then due to these creatures.

But really... Eww.

I cleaned All of my plants even the moss and the rocks and stones and other things leaving the fish and the sand in my tank.

Hopefully i got rid of them. But WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY?! Haha

They eat exactly like caterpillars. The biggest one i saw was the size of the neon tetra. Its soo fat with all the leaves it ate.

I threw them out the window. (My flat is on the 5th floor) hopefully our neighbors chickens and pidgeons ate them or theyd die in the sun.

Those tomato caterpillars can get to the size of bratwurst and are eating machines. What creeps me out is when you pick them up there is an overripe squishiness about them.
Anyhow, more info on those aquatic caterpillars.

Omg! Yes thats them!!!! Come to think of it i did see a moth crawling in my fish tank. I assumed its because it was drawn to the light.

I did clean the plants before putting them in my tank. But never have i ever seen these things before....and they stick themselves in their leaf nest so unless you destroy the leaves you wont see them.

Their big enuf to not fit into my balloon mollies mouths. Even the bettas refuse to eat them.

At least... They dont eat moss. But my anubias have holes in then due to these creatures.

But really... Eww.

I cleaned All of my plants even the moss and the rocks and stones and other things leaving the fish and the sand in my tank.

Hopefully i got rid of them. But WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY?! Haha

They eat exactly like caterpillars. The biggest one i saw was the size of the neon tetra. Its soo fat with all the leaves it ate.

I threw them out the window. (My flat is on the 5th floor) hopefully our neighbors chickens and pidgeons ate them or theyd die in the sun.

LoL! Death by chicken.

Back
Top Bottom