Water change emptying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah1953

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm a newbie, I have a huge 197L tank and I'm finding it difficult to both empty water and clean the sand. Is the hose on the attached picture the easiest way to do a water change with such a big tank? And how do I clean the sand sufficiently without hoovering too much up? I'm quite a short person so need a stool anyway :lol:

Thanks in advance for any answers

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
there are many types of siphon hoses out there I use one similar to this but with with out the plunger the longer the bigger part is the less sand/gravel you will suck up it will only pull out the lighter crud
, I use a 7/8 hose for faster siphoning , the hose you have pictured looks to be about 3/8 and that will make draining water slow , since I use bigger hose I can drain and change water in about 5 min , small hose tends to clog fast large diameter hose gets less clogs and is more efficient IMO , the only downside with larger tubing is you have a bigger chance of sucking up fish if your not careful
p-92632-82061K-fish.jpg
Save

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom