Water change help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForTheLoveOfFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so when I first got my 55 Gallon Aquarium, I didnt want to use tap water. So I went to a grocery store and bought 52G of spring water(45$ later) and filled me tank.

Now I dont want to go spend another large sum of money on spring water again...but my tap water is really bad (Hot water comes out smokey)...and the cold water is still pretty hard. Anyway around this?

I have purchased the Tetra Easy Balance Plus but im still scared to use tap water.

Why exactly is your tap water bad? Have you tested the water paramatres with an API kit? If it's a temperature problem simply fill it up in a bucket, add prime and let it rest overnight with a heater in it.

I havent tested the tap water yet no. It just looks really smokey in a glass cup.

I would test the water. If the parameters are bad, it's expensive, but look into an RO/DI unit. They normally cost about $200 but on ebay you can find them as cheap as $60 sometimes. It is expensive, but it quickly pays for itself when you don't have to buy spring water every time you do a pwc.

Thanks bud. what are bad levels for tapwater? or what should i be aiming for when i test it?

You ideally want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and <20 nitrates. But, if you have small amounts of ammonia and nitrites a strong bio filter should be able to take care of it quickly without it harming the fish.

i have a 70g Aquaclear filter in a 55g tank...and it uses activated carbon and biomax. my ammonia was reading .25 .... but i got the test kits from the person i got the tank from, and i could tell they didnt take care of it so im taking your advice and going to get api freshwater master test kit. i currently have no fish i just want to do this right the first time.

Just start using tap water and be patient until your tank is cycled. Believe it or not tap water has minerals and buffers that is important to your fish, plants, bacteria, and in maintaining stable water parameters. Just make sure you use a water conditioner when adding/changing water, I personally like Prime from Seachem. There's nothing wrong with using purified water or RO/DI water as long as you add back those important minerals and buffers that have been stripped away, but that can get a little complicated and you could make things worse.

I think your tap water is fine but I suggest you get a master test kit to test your tap water and tank water on a weekly basis. That way you know where your at on your cycle and what your tanks chemistry is or will be once it's established.
When testing your tap water take your sample and let it sit over a 12hr to 24hr period before testing. I've heard you'll get a more accurate result.

Back
Top Bottom