water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a 12 gal water change last night in my 90 gal tank and today moat fish are hiding and some are at the top back not swimming around any ideas my tank is about 3 months old first time having this prob

Do a bigger wc than that in a 90 gal I got about a 50% in my 55g I'm a little over stocked too. But it sounds like either there trying to stay away from a bullie or too much ammonia and there trying to get air.

Test you're water. Also, as isiah said, you need to be doing bigger changes. I know 40gallons might be a lot of water, but thats the only way it's gonna cut it.
If you really want to lower ammonia, you need to do constant water changes. I know you can suck on a hose then let the water pull leak. Or you can get a water changer:)

How do lower it right now?

I do water changes every 2 weeks

I did a 12 gal water change last night in my 90 gal tank and today moat fish are hiding and some are at the top back not swimming around any ideas my tank is about 3 months old first time having this prob

How's the surface movement? The fish that are at the top, do they normally swim up in that region? If not then they are trying to get more oxygen.

Should I be worried? Is there something I can do to remove the ammonia? I have ammo lock.would that help?

Well I loose fish cuz of this.....

And thanks for the help everyone

You need to be doing 50% every week! Please start doing your water changes, chemicals only make it worse or cause the dips and highs in your tank and cause a massive die off. I suggest you get a water changer makes it a lot easier.

I agree with Oceangirl and Fishanatic, you need to be doing around 50% a week. Your currently doing 13% every two weeks. This is nowhere near enough...

I dont like huge water changes at once because its too much work for me, and it keeps the tank from getting to the point were the tank is dirty.
I do 5g every cpl days on my 40g.
I just dont want to do a 20 gal at once.
Ive been doing it this way since i set up the tank.
I have perfect parameters, crystal clear water, and my fish are doing great.

Ok ok so I need to do bigger water changes but no one.seems.to be able to tell me how I can fix the problem or.if I.should leave it and let the bacteria clean it. ........ Cuz right now over half of my fish are at the top

Ok ok so I need to do bigger water changes but no one.seems.to be able to tell me how I can fix the problem or.if I.should leave it and let the bacteria clean it. ........ Cuz right now over half of my fish are at the top
We are telling you how to fix it...Do a 50/60% water change asap and that will bring it down instantly. You then have to figure out if there is another cause for your ammonia to be so high but i would guess it's because of the small water changes...If you post more info, water test results etc, it would help people to help you....

The only way to fix it, is to do a 50% water change right now. Then do another tomorrow. Then Start doing 50% water changes every week. Your Parameter Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Must be through the roof causing your fish to gasp. Make sure to use a good water conditioner like PRIME

What would be benificial bacteria? Just wondering.. Also what's this about a water changer? Is it automatic or something? Lol.

Some stress Zune should help get some benefical bacteria in for now and ammo lock will cover for a bit but still do big water changes the next couple of days

What would be benificial bacteria? Just wondering.. Also what's this about a water changer? Is it automatic or something? Lol.
The bacteria that eliminates the toxins and transforms it into a rather harmless form of NO3(Nitrate) if under then 20ppm.
Ammonia(NH3)--->Nitrite(NO2)--->Nitrate(NO3)

Back
Top Bottom