Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AutumnPine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my fowlr tank set up for two months now. I've gone through the cycling process successfully. My perams are all good. ph-8.2, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at 0. My salinity is 1.022. My question is if all my readings are good is it necessary to do water changes?

Usually after cycling you will get high nitrates which is the end result and then yes you should do a PWC to lower them. Did you ever experience a large ammonia spike? And even if everything is good a PWC wont hurt. I always say a PWC wont hurt.

PWC's also replenish depleted minerals in the tank. I do 12% weekly.

no, I didn't have a really big ammonia spike. My nitrites were very small and I never experienced a nitrate spike at all. I have since done a 12% water change and all my readings are at 0 and my ph is still consistant at 8.2. my salinity runs between 1.022 and 1.023. I haven't purchased anything other than my yellowtail damsel just to make sure that I have completely cycled except some turbo snails and a peppermint shrimp for the glass anemone problem and they all look good and healthy, no signs of any kind of stress.

I think that you're in fine shape. Add fish slowly, thus allowing your beneficial bacteria to keep up with your increasing bio-load. Usually not more than one fish in ten days.

Sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :>)

Back
Top Bottom