water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougInPA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw a post from a fresh water aquarium keeper who puts water in a 32 gallon trash can, filters, heats and treats it to soften it because of high PH from the tap and uses it for water changes. Anyone ever heard of this?

Fish keepers tend to be very inventive, so what you presented comes as no surprise to me. It's important to note that a lot of fishkeepers go off the deep end to solve easily correctable problems.
Placing peat in the filter basket, or aquascape with a tannin rich bogwood like Maylasian, will lower PH naturally. On the downside, it will stain your water like weak tea. Really no need to work so hard adjusting PH except in extreme cases like certain well water situations. Most farm raised fish can adjust to a wide range of water parameters.

I saw a post from a fresh water aquarium keeper who puts water in a 32 gallon trash can, filters, heats and treats it to soften it because of high PH from the tap and uses it for water changes. Anyone ever heard of this?

That was probably me.

I use an old spare power head attached to a CAF-25 sponge filter, a spare 150W heater, a spare air pump and air stone, and an old floating pool thermometer. I usually do 20 gallons or more for water changes at a time, and I like to keep the water aerated, circulated, and heated so I can do water changes without causing too much stress to the fish. I usually set it up a couple days ahead of time, add Prime, and since my tap water PH is 8.4, I get it to a lower level, usually 7.2 - 7.4. I use a pond pump and hose to transfer the water from the can into the tank.

Some may consider it overkill, but it works. :D

Attachments

• 20171027_230900.jpg
    20171027_230900.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 52
I keep 2 trash cans for salt water. 1 for ro/di and the other for mixed salt water. Different side of the hobby, but basically the same.

I keep 3 barrels of water.
1@42g Rubbermaid brute RO
1@32g Rubbermaid brute RO/DI
1@32 tap water.
I also have a dedicated line with mixer to always give me 78 degree tap water till my 50 gallon house water heater can't keep up !
My breeders and young fry get prepared water and juvis and livebearers get tap.
The whole show is about water...

Back
Top Bottom