water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night I did a water change, over 50%. Then I added "start right" its a water conditioner thast in tablets. I also have these tablets called "parasite clear" and your supposed to remove the carbon from the filter when runnin it, I dont know why.. I was wondering if I should have removed the carbon when I dropped the start right in.(it was a new filter too) The directions didnt say to, so I didnt. I also have soem crystal clear,but its nto workin yet. As I said I did over 50% water change so it should be clear.. Also if I need to change it again today how do u get the water temp to be close to your tepm thats already in the aquarium? I heard that using hot water has more metals in it. I dont want to take the fish out cause there too hard to catch and I dont want to stress them, casue I took them out last night. My nitrate level is hi so I need to change the water and do a gravel vac too. I have a 29 gal. and teh filter is fine, any suggestions ..

Also I was wondering if there is something I could get for my filter.. you the tube in the water, well Ive had a good bit of fish get sucked up in there. I now have a piece of net wrapped around it with a rubber band, but Its not gettin everything up the tube to the filter.. And no this is not teh reason for my cloudy water. any suggestion for this? Ive had three fish and an ill get sucked up in it

Your filter tube should have a cage looking strainer on it. That allows debris to go through but not fish. In most cases, you should only change about 25% of the water at a time. I assume this is a new setup. Cloudy water often happens in new tanks as the bacteria develops. Carbon absorbs meds. thats why they tell you to remove the carbon while treating the tank. If you don't have sick fish, don't add any meds. Avoid using additives in your tank. Most of them don't work and just screw up the natural chemestry. When changing water, always let the tap run for a little while to get rid of water that has been sitting in the copper pipes. I warm my water in a large pot to equal tank temp. You can also put cold water in a clean bucket, then add boiling water to bring up the temp. then add your declorinator. You should try to match the tank temp within a couple of degrees. Hope this helps. :D

To get the temp "just right" I use water from the faucet and fill a glass. I then set the thermometer in the glass to get a reading. I adjust the temp accordingly. Then use the gravel vac (like the Python) and fill that way. As I am filling I will put in the dechlorinator. From past experiences, I believe it is best to use liquid dechlorinator because sometiems the tablets or crystals don't get absorbed.

Actually this aint a new set up. But no the pipe dont hav a strainer on it.. I got this tank and everything with it gave to me. I plane to buy a new bigger tank inm the future but til then... Back to the strainer it dont ahve anything in it. I had an ill get sucked up in it the other day. And 3 barbs in the past. Luckily the fish store replace my ill. What I did was got an old fish net and cut uit out and got a rubber band and wrapped it tightly around the net and put it on hte bottom of the pipe. It works to keep the fish out, but it wont suck up larger debries and it all gets stuck to the pipe/tube. the water is still cloudy I reckon IM about to try another water change and hope my fish survive

I didn't mean that you were starting a new tank. but when doing a pwc you can refill by purchasing a Python (or another product with the same concept) and hooking it up to your kitchen sink faucet. You can adjust the temperature very easily that way for almost perfect temps.

Your fish should survive another water change as long as you have good bacteria established in your tank. Do you have a sand or gravel bed? If you have eels you should definately have a sand bed.

I have gravle, but thinkin of changin to sand.. Is it hard to clean the sand?

I lost my eel this morning, but Im gonna get another

right now Im treatin the tank for ich, or tryin.. new to this im a lil scared. I did a 20% water cahnge today. Last night I dropped some parasite tabs in the water and now Ive got the temp on the rise, right now its around 83

Last night I did a water change, over 50%. Then I added "start right" its a water conditioner thast in tablets.
Water changes should be only 10-20% and the liquid start right is better.
I also have these tablets called "parasite clear" and your supposed to remove the carbon from the filter when runnin it, I dont know why.. I was wondering if I should have removed the carbon when I dropped the start right in.(it was a new filter too) The directions didnt say to, so I didnt. I also have soem crystal clear,but its nto workin yet. As I said I did over 50% water change so it should be clear.
Do you have parasites? Why are you adding these tablets. You don't have to run carbon in the filter all the time. No the carbon will not remove the start right from the water. The start right will condition the water for the fish. As for the cloudy water, stop adding chemicals, it will clear up. Sounds like you have an algae bloom.
Also I was wondering if there is something I could get for my filter.. you the tube in the water, well Ive had a good bit of fish get sucked up in there.
Get an aqua clear sponge and cut it in half, then cut an X on one side. Put this over the intake on your filter. It will act as a prefilter and can be cleaned as needed.
My nitrate level is hi so I need to change the water and do a gravel vac too. I have a 29 gal. and teh filter is fine, any suggestions
Do a 20% pwc tonight and repeat tomorrow. The only chemical you should add is the liquid start right.
I dont want to take the fish out cause there too hard to catch and I dont want to stress them
You don't have to remove your fish to do a pwc. Just be careful. HTH :mrgreen:

To me, sand is easier to clean. You don't have to dig down into the gravel to pick up waste because it all sits on the top of the sand. It's easier to see so you know where to vac. If you plan to have eels, you really need to have sand in the tank. It will be easier on their bodies and they are less likely to have infection.

I agree with xray, you should try to stay away from any type of crystals or tablets. The liquid type of chemicals are easier to to use and you don't have to worry about the tablets breaking up.

You're on the right track with the ick problem. Keep the temperature elevated, do pwc's and add minimal medication. The less medication/chemicals that you add to your tank on a regular basis, the healthier your fish will be.

As far as the intake tube on your filtration unit is concered, you should try going to the lfs and seeing if they have replacement parts for your filtration unit or if they can order you a piece. Chances are that they have them in stock or can easily order them. BUT, if you put sand in your tank, you will have to have something around the intake tube to keep the same from getting sucked into your filter.

In my opinion sand looks sooo much better than gravel. I am in the process of making all of my tanks sand. 2 down, 2 to go.

ok thanks yall

I guess I will stop using the tabs then. I just want to be sure to get rid of the ich. The temp dont seem like it would kill the ich alone. I also have some other stuff called "ich away" it turns it all blue though.. What If I use it every 24 hours and do the gravel vac every day or every other day and keep the temp at 87? would that work? Or shoudl I just do the temp at 87 and water 20% water change daily

the temp wont kill my fish will it?

Back
Top Bottom