water changers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idel01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can some one tell me if its better to boil the water and leave it 24h before putting to tank if not what is the best method thank you

get yourself a good ro/di unit. Its better for the fish, the tank and you don't have to buy any chemicals. I'd say a good amount of serious fish keeper have ro units for their tanks.

I'd only recommend RO/DI for saltwater. Freshwater plants, unlike some corals, actually thrive on the dissolved metals in tap water. Even if you're not getting live plants, tap doesn't hurt the fish if you add a dechlorinator.

iv been reading that distilled water to top up tank is better than tap water what do you think

Are we talking about a freshwater tank or a saltwater tank? I don't generally recommend distilled water for freshwater tanks. I have not done saltwater, so I am not going to give you any advice there. For freshwater, all you generally need to is buy a dechlorinater like Prime, Amquel, Nutrafin, or anything like that and add the amount suggested on the bottle. No need to boil or do distilled. That is way more hassle than is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom