water changes non-cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiedyn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My sister is getting a male betta and three ghost shrimp. They have a 3gal half moon tank with lucky bamboo. The tank is not and will not be properly cycled (i have fought and fought with her, she WON'T cycle proper). What % of the water should be changed, and how often? Thank you!

She should really get a liquid test kit and let it be her guide. But at least 75% daily to keep the fish safe.

And for about how long should she keep that up...a month or two?

provided there is a filter in this tank it's going to cycle whether she wants it to or not, it's just a better of whether her fish will survive or not. It's the natural process. Unless she sabotages the cycle by switching out media for new stuff.

She should get a test kit to test the water but 50-75% a day should be plenty. How long really depends. An average cycle is about 6-8 weeks but it depends on how things go. Every cycle is different which is why the test is so important. There is no way to know where your levels sit or where a cycle is without those results.

Thank you so much for the help! I just want the fish to survive the cycle..:nono:

Back
Top Bottom