water changes using the python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurfQ

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was at my favourite lfs today and they had the python on sale so I picked one up. I'm really looking forward to losing the buckets, but I've got a question.

First of all, what I have been doing is using buckets for water changes (not so bad with my old 10G but I wasn't looking forward to it with my new 25G). I would draw off the water for the change at least 24 hours before I planned on doing it, so it had time to reach room temp (my aquarium houses only goldfish and is not heated) and also so I could treat it with AquaPlus conditioner to remove the chlorine as my tap water is heavily chlorinated.

So here's what I'm wondering. If I use the python to add water directly from my tap, is that safe with regards to the chlorine and if so, do I add the same amount of water conditioner as I would in a bucket based on the amount of untreated water that I'm putting in? Or do I treat based on the whole tank volume? Also, do I just put cold water in? Or do I try to adjust the tap to be as close to room temp (ie current tank temp) as possible?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but even though I've had an aquarium for almost 2 years now, I still consider myself an absolute newbie as I am only just now beginning to learn what fishkeeping is all about.

Yes, just adjust the tap so the temp is close and add your dechlor as you fill the tank. I do it every week never had a problem.

Awesome! This is going to be so much easier. How much conditioner do I add though? Based on the whole tank, or based on the new water?

Assuming you dont put a half-bottle of de-chlor in, I think it would be difficult to overdose. Might as well not chance it, and dose the whole tank.

Seems unanimous, so that's definitely what I'll be doing as well. I actually tried it out last night on my 10G which was do for a PWC anyway. It's sooooo much easier than the bucket brigade. It's hard to believe I went so long without this marvelous contraption!

I dose for the whole tank. Dechlor is fairly inert, it only reacts to chlorines and chloramines. Overdosing is almost impossible (within reason). The problem is, you know how much water your tank holds but you can't easily predict how much your replacing.

Back
Top Bottom