Water changes with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

I need to do my pwc with my fish in the tank. I have a Python system but I was wondering if I could add prime to the tank then fill it up 20% while leaving the fish in. Otherwise I would have to add the prime to the water outside the tank in a bucket (trash can really).

Just make sure you use enough prime for the entire tank volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yep, I agree with the above two posters.

Just to be clear the order is:
1 - Drain water
2 - Add enough prime for the entire tank volume
3 - Refill the tank

I also do my PWCs this way with no trouble.
Be sure to match the temperature as best as you can as well.
I also add the water back in fairly slowly... just above a trickle really. Not sure if that's beneficial or not, but it makes me feel better.

+1 Different states, municipalities have different levels of chloramine in their water system, for health reasons. Ensure you have enough prime or neutralizer.

I use a pocket hose from the bathroom faucet. It works like a charm and prevents a bucket-palooza marathon.

Although I haven't done one in several weeks.....

Yep, I agree with the above two posters.

Just to be clear the order is:
1 - Drain water
2 - Add enough prime for the entire tank volume
3 - Refill the tank

Just curios, how do get the tap water to a temp that matches the tank? I meant do u put a thermometer under it at any point? .. Just curious[emoji4][emoji4]

I use a digital instant thermometer. Check the tank then adjust the faucet.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I go by touch, it's usually pretty close, besides you're not doing a full water change right? So the temperature won't vary much.
I use a garden hose to drain water out and fill, I find it to work real fast. Using a hose or a python in your case makes a huge difference in keeping the health and growth of the fish with more frequent easier water changes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I go by touch, it's usually pretty close, besides you're not doing a full water change right? So the temperature won't vary much.
I use a garden hose to drain water out and fill, I find it to work real fast. Using a hose or a python in your case makes a huge difference in keeping the health and growth of the fish with more frequent easier water changes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 by touch !!! My hands are in my tanks so often that I know the temps without thermometers. Then after you get some time in the hobby, you'll know what's going on with your tanks just by the smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

If you are going to do it by touch than make sure you put your hand in the tank shortly before putting it in the tap to test. The temperature of your hands will effect how you perceive the temperature of the water.

Back
Top Bottom