water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water Chemistry
NH3/NH4 (Ammonia)....0ppm Toxic in any amount
NO2 (Nitrite)................0ppm Toxic in any amount
NO3 (Nitrate)...............0.5-20ppm Not particularly toxic at levels below 40ppm, but above this it becomes toxic and can cause health problems in fish.
NO3 (Nitrates)test results shouldn't go over 40ppm and ideally should be within this for average weekly test results. 20ppm is a very good level to be within.

****NO3 levels dictate how often and how much water we need to change to keep our water safe. ****

In a non planted tank, there should almost always be a testable level of NO3 in a healthy tank.

...........................................................................................................

Weekly water changes, amount dictated by NO3 (nitrate) levels as per above, may need to be done more often.

***Even if Levels are acceptable... Nothing wrong with a thorough vacuuming and 50%+ water change, needed or not.***

Thanks. That's VERY helpful. I would have gone by ammonia, so this has got me straight. Test kit should come within four days or so, so I'll keep you posted.

What if you have a planted tank regarding the NO3. I have nine in my tank(3 are gonna be returned, stupid bamboo) So could you say as long as your NO3 is belive 40ppm(whats ppm) you don't need a water change?

i'm pretty sure with plants, the NO3 won't get as high because plants "eat" nitrate. someone correct me if i'm wrong. but as far as i understand, plants help keep nitrate levels safe.

What if you have a planted tank regarding the NO3. I have nine in my tank(3 are gonna be returned, stupid bamboo) So could you say as long as your NO3 is belive 40ppm(whats ppm) you don't need a water change?
Hover your cursor over the underlined acronym, ppm = parts per million.

Technically yes, you'd be OK, better to be 20ppm or less.

That said, my cichlid's tank get vacuumed and at least 50%+ pwc, whether NO3 dictates or not. Planted tanks get 25-50% pwcs, needed or not.

Also, if your doing PWCs and vacuuming regularly, and your still fighting 40ppm+ NO3, it is time to increase filter maintenance intervals, particularly canister filters & sumps, they can become NO3 factories when filthy.

my tank is fairly heavily planted and all my levels are at zero....

Ditto, that is, until I do my weekly fertilize. My regimen is: 40% WC, refill, Potassium dose ( I just add 2ppm+ worth) and NO3 until I hit 10ppm. The rest of the nitrate comes from my N cycle.

10 gallons is just shy of 20%...

To the OP, its really hard to say whether 10% twice weekly will be sufficient. Two 10% pwc's are not the same as one 20% pwc. Then again, 10% may be sufficient for your tank once a week, or your tank may require 50% twice a week. If you post your stocking and water parameters prior to your weekly water change, we might be able to help you figure out a rough estimate (of course, testing will be the true way to know for sure)

I like to be exact. People hear and say dif things. W/e

Back
Top Bottom