Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
During water changes i have always tried to match the temperature of tank using the hot water tap. However, I have recently discovered this may introduce heavy metals and that boiled water from a kettle may be more suitable.

Does anyone have views on this? What do you lot do?

I mix up water a day in advance and then while I'm cleaning up the tanks, put a heater in to get it right.

I live in an old apartment complex, so I barely trust the water as is. I have heard of this, but never done much research into it.

I'm not saying my water source has heavy metals. Personally I have no idea. Water heated in a heating system may pick up these metals from the piping etc, whereas cold water that is boiled may not.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I mix up water a day in advance and then while I'm cleaning up the tanks, put a heater in to get it right.

I live in an old apartment complex, so I barely trust the water as is. I have heard of this, but never done much research into it.

If I only had the time and the forward planning! 2-children under 2 puts a stop to all that!

richardh said:
During water changes i have always tried to match the temperature of tank using the hot water tap. However, I have recently discovered this may introduce heavy metals and that boiled water from a kettle may be more suitable.

Does anyone have views on this? What do you lot do?

I have heard old water heaters use copper coils to heat the water and some fear the copper will make it's way into the tank. That being said, I use water from my hot water system, through the mixer tap in my kitchen, for my tanks and have not noticed a problem.

Mumma.of.two said:
I have heard old water heaters use copper coils to heat the water and some fear the copper will make it's way into the tank. That being said, I use water from my hot water system, through the mixer tap in my kitchen, for my tanks and have not noticed a problem.

Not just me doing this then. It is a relatively new house, so should have a modern heating system. I'm probably panicking over nothing...

I've heard that you shouldn't use hot from the tap to cook because lead leaches from the solder.

Well, I found this online about copper:
Copper in Aquarium Water

Lots of medications carry copper in them, like some ich medicines. It is toxic at a particular level. I would imagine that if you live with a relatively new heater/pipes, it shouldn't be a big problem. This is just my idea, though.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Well, I found this online about copper:
Copper in Aquarium Water

Lots of medications carry copper in them, like some ich medicines. It is toxic at a particular level. I would imagine that if you live with a relatively new heater/pipes, it shouldn't be a big problem. This is just my idea, though.

Thanks for the link :)

No problem. And it never hurts to worry about your fish. It normally turns up good information and gets other members to do some research too (like me).

If you are concerned about leeching in the hot water lines, then use cold and heat it. But not to boiling. Boiling will remove carbonates by gassing it off as CO2. This is a reduction in the Alkalinity (Carbonate or Temporary Hardness.). And that could lead to potential pH stability issues.

Here in the US, our water districts must provide us with annual water reports, which provide at least some information about the contents of our water. I would be surprised if something similar is not available from your water provider in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom