Water Changes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Many of you suggested that I do multiple water changes for my 30 gallon because I have a goldfish and am cycling. I did this, but when i put new water in, they act like they're dying? What do i do? Get rid of my goldie?

A few questions:
Are you conditioning your water?
Is it a similar temperature to the aquarium water?
How big a water change are you doing?
Are you conditioning your water to remove chlorine and chloramines?

Using municipal tapwater without removing chlorine and neutralizing heavy metal would be like us taking an acid bath while breathing mustard gas!!! Not good for your fish if you are.

FishontheRock said:
A few questions:
Are you conditioning your water?
Is it a similar temperature to the aquarium water?
How big a water change are you doing?
Are you conditioning your water to remove chlorine and chloramines?

I believe it's not exactly the same temp. I put Schaem in it...last time i did a 60% water change, but the ammonia's still high...

Cichlid Kid said:
Using municipal tapwater without removing chlorine and neutralizing heavy metal would be like us taking an acid bath while breathing mustard gas!!! Not good for your fish if you are.

Instead of making me feel like a fish torturer, how about you help me???

Sorry. That wasnt my intention. Do you have ammonia in your tapwater. I would see first if the source your using is safe then go from there. How long has your aqua been cycled?

jetajockey said:
Hi, have a look at the guides in the article section found here.
Freshwater - Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure what Schaem is. How are they acting exactly, when you say they act like they are dying? Breathing rapidly, hovering in place? Water changes are the best way to get the ammonia down.

Prime conditioner? They start to roll over and swim very slowly. The gasp too.

Cichlid Kid said:
Sorry. That wasnt my intention. Do you have ammonia in your tapwater. I would see first if the source your using is safe then go from there. How long has your aqua been cycled?

I don't think so. I have been in cycle for 4 weeks.

I believe it's not exactly the same temp. I put Schaem in it...last time i did a 60% water change, but the ammonia's still high...

Oh do you mean SeaChem prime? Okay good that clear agree with Cichlid Kid might be your tap water, test it.

How many fish are in this tank? The fish rolling over and all that doesn't sound good, I don't know if that's directly related to the water changes but you should still temp match the water as best as possible. If you are doing tap to tank with a hose then I'd refill slowly so that the new water coming in has more time to get oxygenated. Prime is a good water conditioner and will detoxify ammonia for around 24 hours.

jetajockey said:
How many fish are in this tank? The fish rolling over and all that doesn't sound good, I don't know if that's directly related to the water changes but you should still temp match the water as best as possible. If you are doing tap to tank with a hose then I'd refill slowly so that the new water coming in has more time to get oxygenated. Prime is a good water conditioner and will detoxify ammonia for around 24 hours.

Two fish, a Comet and a Chinese Algae Eater. I just tested our tap...O_O It's the problem.

Cichlid Kid said:

The ammonia levels in the tap are horrible!!! 2.0-4.0 ppm!!! Nuuuu! What do i do??

The ammonia levels in the tap are horrible!!! 2.0-4.0 ppm!!! Nuuuu! What do i do??

The prime should be neutralizing the ammonia in your tapwater but I'm going to leave it to other to give you more advice as I haven't dealt with this issue before.

That's a ton of ammonia in the tap, I wouldn't be using that water source for the fish and probably wouldn't be drinking it either. Try contacting your water supplier and find out what their tests say, that's not normal at all.

Back
Top Bottom