Water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm curious, in my 76 gallon tank I lose roughly 1-2 gallons every three days through evaporation. Does this satisfy regular water changes?

No everything still stays in the water that needs to be removed by a water change not by evaporated. I'd start doing 25% water changes every 3 days to solve your evap problem

Last edited:
No. You would be replacing water yes but the harmful toxins produced by the fish (nitrate the end result of filtering) would just be building up and not being removed. You should do 50% a week. Nothing will keep a tank healthier. If your overstocked you will need to do more. I suggest reading about the nitrogen cycle of an aquarium to fully understand what water changes do.

Right, when water evaporates only pure water vapor leaves the tank. All the fish waste, minerals and toxins remain in the tank. When you add water to replace evaporation the new water actually adds more minerals to the tank so the water gets harder and harder. Water changes help restore the tank to more normal levels.

I've always done the water changes but didn't know if I was actually changing out more than necessary with the evap. What you've sad makes good sense though so I won't change anything then. Thanks.

if you want to stop some of the evap you can use press and seal. but still do the normal water change schedule.

sorry Press'n seal but yeah i would seal the back of my hood were it was cutout. helped at the time i had a JD that liked to splash

Back
Top Bottom