Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quitters

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys i have a couple of questions would love some advice...

i get my kh right by adding bi carb soda to the water im going to add to the tank. my tap water is 6.8ph and the tank is about 7.4. i keep the tank at 4.2 kh and my tap water has a kh of 1.

my question is, how long does it take the bi-carb soda to change the ph? the kh changes instantly but should i wait for the ph to be right before sticking it into the tank or will the whole idea of a buffer not make this an issue?

also im having a lot of trouble feeding my hillstream loach, he wont eat any of the algae pallets no matter how close i get them to him coz he wont come off the glass, will the algae on the tank be enough for him if it is actually there coz i cant see any algae?

I would wait about 8 hours to get a valid pH reading. I use an alkalinity buffer in my SW tank that says to wait 12 hours, but it uses some other buffers besides baking soda.

Like malkore says you should wait before take your ph again. I know for a fact that baking soda can rise ph fast like in less than 30 seconds. That's why i dont use this technique. I prefer Aragonite or Crushed Shell. Depending on the ph you want or the fishs you have. I did actually make a mistake by mixing too much aragonite in my sand. Now my ph is buffered a 8.2 but the fish are happy with that since it is stable. Just make sure to be carefull with baking soda. I`ve already tried it and made mistakes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom