Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverain420

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have experience with brackish tanks, but have a question regarding SW. Do I need to try and the heat water to the same temp as the tank before I add it at each water change? With my brackish, where I lived, the tap water was much better so we just used tap water that matched the temp. I am going to be buying my water until I can get an RO unit. What do you suggest?

Jen

I would think it is according to the percent of change, if it is a small change in a small tank, a small amount of water is not going to affect overall temperature that much. Now, say you were changing 10 gallons of a 30 gallon at at time, it would be very important to keep a constant temperature.

I have a 55 gallon and I do weekly 6 gallon changes. As long as the water is not cold or real hot, I just put it in. I have never even seen a 1 degree change.

HTH

:hat:

I would match the water temp as closely as possible... Even though its a small amount it will still make Cold spots in the tank.. As a rule of thumb you should always match pH, Temp, And Salinity as closely as possible when doing water changes.. Remember that some SW species such as inverts, corals, anemones, and some fish are Extremely sensitive to even small changes in water parameters... This would be the reason that people think of SW being a "Hard" hobby to keep as the fish can easily become stressed and die over very minimal changes in the environment.. Where as I have had FW fish and it just about takes a Knife to kill them things...

HTH,
James

Yeah, I didn't think of that, because right now all I have is a FOWLR. If there are any invertabrates, then it is for sure more important. Also, I didn't mean extremes, I try and get the water close, but I guess I need to be a bit mopre careful!

I use a huge wheeled rubbermaid container I got from wal-mart. I wheel it in from the garage and fill it with my water, Put in a cheap heater and old powerhead, add my salt and wait a few hours and all is well !

The setup I have is a 75 gal container with 2 PH's and 2 heaters. Just take what water I need, topoff the containers, add salt to get it back to the right SG and move on. Only had it going for 2 weeks, but it is alot easier, always have SW ready.

Attatch the heater to the rubbermaid container? I could do that. I do have an extra heater, just not an extra aquarium at the moment! Thanks for the advice!

Jen

Back
Top Bottom