Water changing issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! My tank is almost full with the RO/DI water (finally) and I am reading about curing my LR when I get it. I can already see that I'm going to have an issue using the RO/DI water for my inital water changes when curing the LR. I have been reading suggestions of 50% water changes per week until cured and there is no way I'm going to be able to make that much water every week, it is just not going to be possible. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could purify my well water for the mass changes? Using RO/DI water won't be a big deal after the rock is cured and all is set up, but I need some quick advice! Thanks!

you can cure the rock in the tank durring the cycle as long as it's just normal br or lr. That way it's all in the same process and it's wayyyy less of a hastle. Then when the cycle is finished do a large pwc. 30-50%.

You could get some plastic tubs and cure it outside the tank using tap or bottled water. The move the cured rock into the display

I agree with captain that tubs of SW made with tap will be OK for curing your rock. Now if your tank is not cycled then I agree cycling your tank and curing the rock together. Kill two birds with one stone.

I agree with Mike. It would appear that you are just starting the tank. There's no need for a weekly water change while the tank cycles with the LR. Just let the tank go through the cycle and then do the large PWC.

I'm not sure I understand the problem with making enough RODI water. Is it water pressure, or not having any place to store it?
You can get a booster pump (I got one even though I have public water supply) to increase the pressure up to 60 -70 lbs. For pwc's you still need a storage container to fill and mix the water in. A BRUTE trashcan or tote is great for that.

It's not so much the water pressure, it just is going to take too long to make and storage is definately an issue for me, I have nowhere to put the water. Figured it would be easier to just fill a bucket with the well water and condition it somehow.

Back
Top Bottom