Water chemisrty Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill2183

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased my own test kit. My ammonia and nitrites have been at practically zero for the last three weeks. I have not gravel vacuumed or changed any water in those three weeks. I have only been replacing evaporated water.

I have also not changed my charcoal filter in that either.

Does this sound normal? If the levels stay down do I still need to change my water or should I wait until the levels start to rise a bit? I had the lps check my water levels to ensure my testing was correct.

Thanks.

Buncha questions. Is this a new tank? How long have the fish been in there? Is this the tank listed in your signature? Do you have nitrate levels? And if this is a new tank with new fish, are you saying you never have had readings of ammonia/nitrites? Def get those nitrate levels; it will let us know if the tank has cycled. Also, is the tank well planted? Plants wil absorb a lot of the nitrogenous waste which will cause low readings of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Do you use any ammonia absorbing materials?

You will want to do regular water changes and gravel vacs; clean fresh treated water at tank temps is always a good thing. Plus, whatever you put into the tank stays there, including food (its just in a different form *grin*).

***Pull this question over Bill2183, I'm issuing you a citation for your spelling of the topic. Let's not let it happen again.***

Back
Top Bottom