water choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting a list together to start my first salt water tank. ( 20 gallon )
My question is...is there any advantage to getting pre-made salt water from my local reef store over making it myself ? As far as price goes, it comes out about the same. As this is my first salt tank, I'm thinking doing it myself would give me the experience on how to set up the tank but getting it pre-made sure is convenient.

If you make it your self the you need an ro/di unit. You'll get tired of lugging around buckets real fast though if you buy premade

The bucket thing would be a chore at first to set it up but they sell r/o water as well so a water change on a 20 gallon wouldn't take much plus, I love going to this place anyway and it"s right down the street. Love looking at their 300 gallon tanks...lol

Before you commit to buying water processed anywhere else on a regular basis, test the source for nitrates and phosphates. Sometimes the stores do not monitor their water supply and the filters int heir purification systems get old and contaminants get through.

Great advice.
This place is a well known salt water reef supplier so I'm sure they monitor everything but double checking the water would be a smart idea...thanks

Back
Top Bottom