Water color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I come home yesterday and the water in my aquarium is a yellow color almost like someone peed in it. It looks that way from the side but looks clear from the front. I checked the parameters and all were where they should be. Why would water turn this color? I changed about 1/3 of the water and filter media and siphoned out the bottom. I just don't get why could someone please enlighten me.

You don't want to actually get rid of the filter media.... that's where all your BB lives. You should probably just rinse it out in some of the tank water you removed from the tank itself (not tap water as it has chlorine) then reuse the filter media.

The driftwood has been in there for over 6 months and it has been soaking for months prior. This is the first time this has happened. I did change the water, added the chemicals to get rid of chlorine and did only rinse the filter media in my canister filter. The only thing that has changed is the addition of a couple fish but I can't see that doing it.

Water Color

Hello fade...

Your water problem doesn't seem like anything a 50 percent water change wouldn't fix.

I wouldn't let the water stay in the condition it's in, color in the water can affect lighting, which can affect your plants.

B

over time, water naturally becomes "yellow" because of the pollutants and fish waste.
It's indication that its time for a water change.

Driftwood in the tank leaches tannins which makes the water a brown/tea colour.

Back
Top Bottom