Water Conditioner harmful in large amounts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is accidentally putting 2-4 times more water conditioner (ammo lock) in the tank harmful to my fish? I almost never use teaspoons to measure it, and when giving a good squirt I make sure I'm always safe not sorry, however with all this water conditioner im putting in my tank its never crossed my mind that it could be making things more stressful for my fish than it already is during water change time. Thanks.

I have seen several posts from people in the last few months on the subject, and they always say it is not a problem.

I always do double on water conditioners just because I feel like the water in our aera has alot of chlorines can be kinda rough on a fishes skin~

As far as ammo lock it has a warming on it Ive had this product in the past. It may cause the water to become more thick causing suffocation. So I could see adding to much ammo lock to a small tank could cause a problem. Even when you add this product it looks like a runny syrup.

I think many of the dechlorinators are weak acids, so that in theory, overdoseing over a prolonged time could slowly lower the pH a bit? I was overdosing once by a factor of two to four times, and I thought my pH might have declined from the 7.6 - 7.8 range down to 7.2. I contacted the manufacturer, they thought the test kit could be off that much and doubted it was their product.

I had this one ammonia test kit that used two packets as an indicator, ammonia packet 1 and ammonia packet 2, after you add both of them and shake up the vial real well it turns a certain color after 15 minutes indicating your ammonia levels, i accidnelty dropped a whole vial of water being tested in my un stocked tank lol turned the water a nice dark green lol

Haven't messed with Ammo-lock myself (Just couldn't find any information to cause trust in it, and many reasons not to). You might want to try using Seachem Prime or a regular dechlorinator instead. Only reason I suggest prime is it's concentrated so it lasts a nice LONG time. Just about all of the decholrinators are safe if you accidentally overdose a bit. The label on Prime actually suggests anywhere from 1/2 to 5 times normal dosage depending on conditions, and other dechlorinators are very similar.

Back
Top Bottom