Water Conditioner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am cycling two tanks (10 gal and a 2.5), readings in both are pH 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 2.0 and Nitrate 20. I am doing PWC every other day. I am on well water so I don't worry about chlorene and chemicals in my water, should I be adding water conditioner during the PWC?

Yes I know I should have done it fishless cycle, but I an a noob to this and its too late now. And, before you say anything about the 2.5 I am getting another tank this weekend to do a fishless cycle to put the beta in.

Thank you.

from what I have read here you should put water conditioner in all water that goes into the fish tank. But I am a noob too.

It can't hurt to put Prime or another good dechlornater in the water. It kills ammonia and nitrites for hopefully 24 hours after adding it. As for not cycling, just keep doing water changes and the fish will be ok.

Ok, I will pick something up to add when I do my PWC tomorrow night. I haven't been adding anything because I don't have chlorine in my water. :neutral: But the last two times I did a PWC I lost a guppy and wondered if that was why.

If you have well water, you don't NEED dechlor, but Prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrites, therefore making them harmless to your fish. You will still get a false positive reading for them though. ;)

Why don't you want to put your betta in the 2.5 gallon?

Actually Darby the betta is in the 2.5 gal. :) But he looked like he needed more room so...thats why the new tank. I am thinking the new one will be a 16 or 20 gal (not a lot of space), once it is cycled, I will move the cherry barbs and guppies to it and put the betta in the 10gal with some new friends. Then I can use the 2.5 as a quartine tank if needed.

Well that sounds nice! I have 4 bettas split between two 10 gallon tanks. He will love the bigger tank I am sure. ;) If you have had him in the 2.5 gallon, you can use stuff from that to seed the new tanks, and it will make the cycle go much faster.
Where in AK are you? My cousins live in Valdez and Eagle River. :D I LOVE it up there in the summer, my husband and I had our honeymoon in Valdez.

Back
Top Bottom