Water Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a quick question about setting up a good flow. I currently have my out put in the top right and there's a fan in the top left. The fan is on a timer to run for 15 stop for 10. I have no idea what the best cycle is for on/off, should I run it all day and night or only night?

Added some photos so you could see the angles but more or less the T output is point to the opposite on the from left and along the side to the right.

The power head is pointing across the top at a slight downward angle.

Any advice would be great, thank you in advance!1558581517059.jpg1558581497424.jpg1558581787745.jpg

When it comes to your flow, there isn't a reason to have it turn on and off. Just keep it on. Powerheads turning off will let stuff settle.
As for the 'best' flow, you need to fiddle with them to find what works best for your tank and rock work. I know on my end, I like to have them lower and pointed up so I can get a nice ripple on the surface for CO exchange.

When it comes to your flow, there isn't a reason to have it turn on and off. Just keep it on. Powerheads turning off will let stuff settle.
As for the 'best' flow, you need to fiddle with them to find what works best for your tank and rock work. I know on my end, I like to have them lower and pointed up so I can get a nice ripple on the surface for CO exchange.
I always thought you wanted to create like an ebb and flow, Forward and back kind of motion. If not then I might get rid of the power head since I have a ~100 gph on the output for a 9 gallon tank .

You can do that ebb and flow effect you mentioned with a wave maker as opposed to a power head, you can pick one up fairly cheaply on amazon or whatever source you like.

We do this sometimes in larger systems, but yours is very small and only having one powerhead. This isn't something I'd be trying to replicate in such a system.

Back
Top Bottom