Water foaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 20 gallon long with 5 tiger barbs - this morning, 2 were dead. I had tested the water yesterday since I noticed they were kinda listless and my parameters were perfect - 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate. So I did a 30% water change today and when I put new water in the tank, it kinda foamed up like there was soap or something in the water. What could be causing this? I haven't put anything new in the tank besides some extra gravel which I rinsed well before adding it to the tank and I dechlorinated the water with prime

Can someone please give me feedback on this? I still have the three barbs but they aren't looking good. 2 of them just sit in one spot and the other swims around but looks a bit bloated.

How foamy is the water? Can you post a pic? I had a little trouble with that too. But not sure why. It seemed to be when my tank had ich, and I lost a few fish. Hope that's not the case with your fish.

I use a python water changer and I only noticed the suds when the water surface was disturbed by the pressure from the incoming water - or if I turn on the air pump. Also, there is no ich in the tank.

Have you medicated the tank recently? Some meds can cause foaming.

If your concerned do a pwc grab a new or for fish only bucket and do some changes manually. If there is something in your water supply youll be able to tell before adding it to your tank.

I have heard of prime causing foaming but I've never experienced it. Is it possible the fish deaths and the foam are a coincidence?
You say your fish are bloated. What do you feed them and how often? Are they juvies? Do they fight at all? Have you seen them poop? Is it white and stringy?

I have not used any medication. I have 2 other tanks with no similar issues so it can't be the water or the prime. The fish are about a year old - they eat tetra crisps and frozen bloodworms - but they are not interested in food now. Their fins look like they are deteriorating too. The only thing I can think of is that something foreign got into the tank - I've only got 2 barbs left - one more died this afternoon. Should I put the other two down?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom