Water from the hot water tap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labpig

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is 4 months old. I have no problems with water chemistry. It gets to 0-0-5 or 0-0-10 a week after pwc

When I first started out, I read that it isn't good to use water from your hot water tank as it can contain copper
So When doing a PWC I've been filling the bucket with cold water and adding hot water from the kettle to bring it all up to tank temp, then obviously treating the bucket before pouring it in the tank.

This takes absolutly ages waiting for the kettle to boil twice over and also a lot of electricity!!

I've recently seen youtube videos of people using a python system where they put hot/cold mixed water from the tap straight into the tank

So what's everyone's opinion of using water from the hotwater tank? So Is it actually 'ok' to just use the hot water from my hot tap instead?

Also, if I get a python instead of a bucket, how does one treat water from the python as it goes into the tank? Do I treat the existing tank water first then add water from the python, or do I drip in dechlorinator as the tank fills?

Thanks

I use tap water at 78-80 deg. No problems yet, I have shrimp too so they'd be goners if the water was tainted. As long as you use a good conditioner it should be fine.

I've used an Aqueon WC'r for years using a hot/cold water mix doing 50% WC's even in my 220g weekly without any problems with fish/shrimp/snails.

I think this is one of those minute risks blown way out of proportion. If your water heater is old and you've never flushed it, do it! Good for the appliance and you can worry less about any crud that's settled in there. Then use the warm water.

I agree that it's risk is minimal. I refill all my tanks using my python and temp matched water. The only thing that you really need to consider is if you live in a high run off area like I do. Lots of rain or snow in a season means that the water treatment plants will be adding extra chemicals so you need to adjust your water treatment additive for that. So when refilling, knowing we've had a lot of run off this year between the flooding and the snows, I add extra Prime.

Thanks everyone for your input. That's good news

Back
Top Bottom