Water General RD-102

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a Water General RD-102 RO/DI unit. It has been up for about year and produces about 10-15 gal per week.

The unit is rated @ 100 GPD but has gotten slooooow. It takes about 2.25 hours to fill a single 5 gal bottle.

Do I need to change all of the filters or is it likely that only 1 or 2 need changing? How can I tell?

RO units don't produce as well in the winter when the water is colder.....that is if you live in a cold weather area. You should definitely change all the sediment and carbon filters on the unit. They all should be changed out yearly. The RO membrane should still be good. Do you have a TDS meter to test the output of your water?

No - I don't have a TDS meter. It's easy enough to change the 3 large filters hanging from the bottom of the unit. I guess I'll order a set and see how that works.

The other filters are "in-line" and may be a pain to change, especially if it isn't necessary to do them yet.

As CCCapt said during the winter it runs much slower. On mine I get about 5 gallons in 3 hrs but during the winter I get 5 gallons in about 6 hrs.

In that the filter is about 1 year old, should I just replace the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stage filters anyway?

The sediment filter looks clean but has a slight tan tint rather than the pure white that it was originally.

As an aside:: how can I change my displayed aquarium info? I went to "User CP" but did not see a link to update this info.

If you have a RO/DI unit, a TDS meter is a really good investment. Without it, you're just guessing as to whether or not the unit is putting out "pure" water or not.

As others have said, the carbon/sediment prefilters should really be replaced yearly. I'd also replace the DI resin if you can't verify the output TDS.

PS: Looks like your tank info is listed in your "signature". Go to your control panel and check out your auto signature.

I change all the filters in the RO/DI every 6 months. It doesn't take much to clog a 5 or 1 micron hole!...I personally replace the membrane every year as well though others may disagree. The TDS meters are an ok tool to use to monitor it though output (as you now know) and water quality in your tank are the tell tale signs. It is true output is slower in the winter however, if you house the unit in your house, where we will assume it is heated, then output, at least for mine, is not affected.

GL!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom