Water getting on top of glass top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a glass top on my 20. Water gets on top of it and then dries leaving me with the residue to scrape off each week. It does not appear to splash from the the filter. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so how to fix it? I have a glass top on my 10 and this does not happen to that tank.

Do you mean on the bottom of your glass tops, the side directly above the water? If so, filter splash or condensation would be my best guess. Just wipe the tops down occasionally to prevent hard water build ups.

If it is on the exterior side of the tank, I haven't got a clue! Other than water getting out of your filter or something like that.

Like above outside I have no idea. Inside then its normal from evap, splashing etc. one of the reasons I don't have a top on my 75 gallon African cichlid tank.

My guess is it could be coming from inbetween the glass and plastic hinge.

If you are in a humid climate, the condensation from evap and humidity added from the tank, it's totally normal. I have 3 tanks in my bedroom and during the summer months I have to wipe down the tops once a week, usually when doing water changes.

Main thing is to make sure it does not go into the lighting fixture. I picked up my 30g's light one rump and it had like 6oz's of water in it haha.

I think I finally figured it out. I have an air stone in the back corner of the tank, and the bubbles pop at the surface. Over time the mist from the bubbles builds up and collects on top of the glass. So, I turned my air stone down a bit to see what happens. I don't want to take it out because I have a ram and need to oxygen, but if the air stone bubbles are the problem I can monkey with the air flow and see what happens.

Do you have a bubbler an an open area in that part of the tank? You would be surprised at the amount of water flys when a bubble pops. Just a guess.

I think I finally figured it out. I have an air stone in the back corner of the tank, and the bubbles pop at the surface. Over time the mist from the bubbles builds up and collects on top of the glass. So, I turned my air stone down a bit to see what happens. I don't want to take it out because I have a ram and need to oxygen, but if the air stone bubbles are the problem I can monkey with the air flow and see what happens.

That would make total sense!!

It's a combo of condensation and some splashing ... both from an air-stone and especially if you have an HOB. Occasionally, I'll see some water splash onto my glass tops from my AC-70's. It's not that frequent, but I do catch it on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom