Water movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broncovin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I am brand new to this site and this forum. I have a question but first let me tell you all what kind of a set up I have. I have a beautiful 30 gal SeaClear acrylic tank, an aqua clear 50 for filtration, gravel base with all plastic plants. I have 15 small freshwater fish ( 2 neon tetra, 5 orange plattys, 2 zebra tetra 2 catfish and 4 pink neon ) the tank is completely cycled and all is very well. My concern is the the plattys poop like little elephants and some of it is beginning to settle on the bottom and I was wondering if I can use an old fluval 303 canister filter with only filter media in it to assist with extra water movement and possibly filter out more poop. What is the forums opinion? I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks

Hello everyone I am brand new to this site and this forum. I have a question but first let me tell you all what kind of a set up I have. I have a beautiful 30 gal SeaClear acrylic tank, an aqua clear 50 for filtration, gravel base with all plastic plants. I have 15 small freshwater fish ( 2 neon tetra, 5 orange plattys, 2 zebra tetra 2 catfish and 4 pink neon ) the tank is completely cycled and all is very well. My concern is the the plattys poop like little elephants and some of it is beginning to settle on the bottom and I was wondering if I can use an old fluval 303 canister filter with only filter media in it to assist with extra water movement and possibly filter out more poop. What is the forums opinion? I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks

Yes, that would be ideal. Remove the waste before it can breakdown and dissolve. You can put polyester filling (the fluffy stuff used for pillows, crafts also known as poly-Fil) in the canister for additional mechanical filtration and optionally a bag of Purigen for chemical filtration. If you can replace or rinse/reuse the poly-Fil on a frequent basis that will help keep the waste level down.

Back
Top Bottom