Water on light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So at night when I turn off my lights and I wake up in the morning there is water all over the lights....there is a plastic cover over the lights....is this a big problem when the lights come on I wipe it off now but if I'm not home when the lights come on I don't want them to break and if it is a problem what do I do

No there is no lid and I don't notice water splashing I think its just evaporation....ps don't want a lid cause it messes up my lighting

The lid reduces evaporation and prevents splashing and fish jumping out.

Light goes through the lid, so your plants will still receive UV.

I have to agree that you either

A. Need to move your light higher and try to avoid splashing/evap onto the bulb

B. Get a lid

This is just because, like you said, water could collect on it, bust a bulb, and make for a bad day.

The lid deflects some uv and that's where my problem is with the lid its a very heavily planted deep tank and I don't want that defection to kill my low lying plants...I'm not worried about fish jumping out the light covers the while top of the tank

adadkins1 said:
I have to agree that you either

A. Need to move your light higher and try to avoid splashing/evap onto the bulb

B. Get a lid

This is just because, like you said, water could collect on it, bust a bulb, and make for a bad day.

The water is collecting on the plastic cover not on the bulb

what's more important? your plants or preventing an electrical fault disaster?

A lid is less than an inch thick!
It will have very little effect, impact on your lighting.

A cover will not deflect uv. You need special glass for that to happen. If you use fibers glass, over time It will become less efficient from scratched.
Your lights his to close from the water, i have It at min 4 inched for 2 reason, less heat and splashes.

I don't know how well is you light made, but simply say. Electronic and humidity will make some corrosion and eventually brake down.

One more thing, why would you what to clean you light every day? Fix It so you don't have to do It anymore

Edit : if you add a cover, you can remove your cover from the lights.

It normal for aquarium lid light to have some degree of splash and humidity

Back
Top Bottom