Water Parameter for Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rare

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As I'm getting every bit closer to the end of the fishless cycle & now have the 3 species of mumba cichlids i have picked for the aquarium, I'm looking at the KH & GH. The pH is fine It holds at 8.0 GH 125.3 or 7° & KH at 53.7 or 3°. (Weak KH) The KH is now at 7° as I added sodium bicarbonate.

I can add sodium bicarbonate for the KH & epsom salt salt for GH and have done so and changed the water parameter as a test. I can add this mixed ready to go in the the 32 gallon container for the weekly water change.

So, I get back the question... What are your water parameter for your A. Cichlids? Do you change your water parameter if you are at the lower end like me? I'm just trying to get a feed back on this. I will mostly keep a higher KH & have no problem mixing every week for PWC. What I did read was a good high GH does give cichlids a bright color. Tks for your input

As I'm getting every bit closer to the end of the fishless cycle & now have the 3 species of mumba cichlids i have picked for the aquarium, I'm looking at the KH & GH. The pH is fine It holds at 8.0 GH 125.3 or 7° & KH at 53.7 or 3°. (Weak KH) The KH is now at 7° as I added sodium bicarbonate.

I can add sodium bicarbonate for the KH & epsom salt salt for GH and have done so and changed the water parameter as a test. I can add this mixed ready to go in the the 32 gallon container for the weekly water change.

So, I get back the question... What are your water parameter for your A. Cichlids? Do you change your water parameter if you are at the lower end like me? I'm just trying to get a feed back on this. I will mostly keep a higher KH & have no problem mixing every week for PWC. What I did read was a good high GH does give cichlids a bright color. Tks for your input

IMO most cichlids we get from the local pet store are kept in neutral pH like 7.6-7.8, there really isn't a need to go through all that trouble making the buffer and checking and testing and mixing and so on and so on...

I have a mixed bag of cichlids and for the longest time I didn't use anything until my tap pH dropped to 6.0, now I just have a media bag with crushed coral to help keep pH up. So yes I agree there is a certain level of comfort for them but you don't have to get crazy.

I'm sure others will chime in...

I would like to know what are your water parameter? I will buy the kit for you. lol The pH i'm not sorry worried about even if I have a weak KH, The Holy rock at least can somewhat buffer that.

The whole KH/GH was to make sure they have all the right mineral in the water to be real strong & healthy. I might be over thinking this , but just wanted to make sure that at least where I'm at now in water parameter for KH/GH i'm good to go. tKs for your input guys (y)

I would like to know what are your water parameter? I will buy the kit for you. lol The pH i'm not sorry worried about even if I have a weak KH, The Holy rock at least can somewhat buffer that.

The whole KH/GH was to make sure they have all the right mineral in the water to be real strong & healthy. I might be over thinking this , but just wanted to make sure that at least where I'm at now in water parameter for KH/GH i'm good to go. tKs for your input guys (y)

Maybe I'll run out and get a kit and test it. I've always wondered but I have well water that's pretty hard so I've never worried about it

Never tested and honestly I don't plan on it BUT... If you wanna buy me the kit lol I'll be happy to test for you ;)

lol!

I will also send you a few bubble wands your way as well...:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom