water parameters w/ concrete background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rychean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody,

I have a 3D background soaking to leech out any (or as much as possible) of the effect that the concrete would have on my tank water. Is it correct that the pH is the primary parameter to keep my eye on, as in 'when pH remains stable with the background in the water, then it's ready'? Or are there other things I need to keep track of as well?

Also, I tried to go pretty nuts sealing it with silicone. Will this buffer the effect of concrete on the water, or not make a difference?

Thanks!
Brian

Rychean said:
Hey everybody,

I have a 3D background soaking to leech out any (or as much as possible) of the effect that the concrete would have on my tank water. Is it correct that the pH is the primary parameter to keep my eye on, as in 'when pH remains stable with the background in the water, then it's ready'? Or are there other things I need to keep track of as well?

Also, I tried to go pretty nuts sealing it with silicone. Will this buffer the effect of concrete on the water, or not make a difference?

Thanks!
Brian

Your doing the right thing and trying to leech it. The ph is all you need to test for when doing what your doing. If you smeared silicon all over the whole thing it may not leech and what your doing won't do anything at that point. What is your ph? And I'd love to see a picture when you get a chance. Here is mine

ForumRunner_20120817_180150.jpg

Your doing the right thing and trying to leech it. The ph is all you need to test for when doing what your doing. If you smeared silicon all over the whole thing it may not leech and what your doing won't do anything at that point. What is your ph? And I'd love to see a picture when you get a chance. Here is mine

View attachment 113122

Wow, that's crazy cool! Puts mine to shame!

When I did my 3-D background, all I did was keep changing the water until my pH was stable. I haven't had any issues with my fish dying and I've had it up and running for almost a year :)

pic and update

Andrew,
That's pretty cool. Mine has a different flavor to it. I'm ready to put the left part back into the soaking tub - noticed at the water change that it needed some silicone touch up. I haven't tested the pH in the soaking tub, as I figured it would be a few weeks before I was ready to consider installing it. But the pH in the tank is at 8.4, if I remember right (lots of rock in there now, and it's going in a tank w/ convicts, tiger barbs and corys).
I'll start soaking it again today and test it in a week when I'm back from vacation. If it's still in the 7's (out of tap is about 7.0), I'll be surprised, and start thinking about installing.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 131
Back
Top Bottom