Water problems......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so do you think as I've put filter aid and a tropical starter kit in. Would it be easier to start again?? I probably being stupid as things are already starting in there. But if you don't ask you never know..

Personally I'd start again to got rid of the chemicals. Just do a water change and change as much of the water as you can siphon out. Don't worry about getting it all just most. Read the thread on using ammonia its the best way.

Can I just fill the tank with water for now as I can't get any ammonia or anything till tomorrow? Is that ok? And should I fill and put everything on? (filter, air pump, heater)?

Fill it now and get the heater and filter on. No need to get the bubbles going until the day before the fish go in (although it wouldn't harm, it's just a waste of electric at the moment).

Have you read about fishless cycle with ammonia?

Make the heater all the way up and add the air. They're both supposed to speed up the process. Also you can take a filter cartilage from your other tank and put it in your new tanks filter so to really quicken your cycle. But make sure you still have a cartilage in your cycled tank too bc you could start a mini cycle.

allaboutfish said:
Make the heater all the way up and add the air. They're both supposed to speed up the process. Also you can take a filter cartilage from your other tank and put it in your new tanks filter so to really quicken your cycle. But make sure you still have a cartilage in your cycled tank too bc you could start a mini cycle.

Good points :)

Thanks for all the help, re-started tank cycle and so far so good. Water is clear. Will do a quick test tomorrow just to see where I am. I have left lights off for now, when can I put them on?

Jimlor123 said:
Thanks for all the help, re-started tank cycle and so far so good. Water is clear. Will do a quick test tomorrow just to see where I am. I have left lights off for now, when can I put them on?

Also, does anyone know good books on tropical fish keeping? From setting up to what fish and identifying desieases?? As looking for good literature?! Any ideas?

Glad all is ok now. Leave the light off except for when you need to do a quick check of the water quality, as light just promote algae growth. Crank up the heater nice and high as that gets the good bacteria growing quicker.

As for reference material, I use the Internet as you can get multiple opinions on anything from "what fish live with other fish" to "please help identify and cure this disease".

Cool, I have the water temp at around 30c? Is that good? Don't know if it works but I put a picture on

Attachments

• image-2475618875.jpg
    image-2475618875.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 93
Jimlor123 said:
Cool, I have the water temp at around 30c? Is that good? Don't know if it works but I put a picture on

I hv a temp of 30c too previously. I bought a mini cooler fan for aquarium and it cool the water down to between 27c to 28c... I believe thats the recommended temperature...

JarJarDoink said:
I hv a temp of 30c too previously. I bought a mini cooler fan for aquarium and it cool the water down to between 27c to 28c... I believe thats the recommended temperature...

Jimlor as you are in the uk, you won't need a cooler unless you are going to run a really high power lighting rig.

All is fine with water tests :). Added 3 platy's just to help with final stages. Of cycle. Due to reading something about spikes, and how they won't settle until a few fish r introduced. Does that sound ok? Thanks for all the help and tips:)

Jimlor123 said:
All is fine with water tests :). Added 3 platy's just to help with final stages. Of cycle. Due to reading something about spikes, and how they won't settle until a few fish r introduced. Does that sound ok? Thanks for all the help and tips:)

Oh and to add, I dropped temp to 24-26.

This is way too quick to by cycled, on average it should take around 6 weeks. Keep an eye on the water parameters - test every day without fail for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Post the results on here. Good luck

Pvtdgrif said:
This is way too quick to by cycled, on average it should take around 6 weeks. Keep an eye on the water parameters - test every day without fail for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Post the results on here. Good luck

I forgot to ask... What test kit are you using? And is it powder, dipsticks or liquid?

I'm jumping in late here (sorry), but if you've put fish in the tank to "help with the late stages of cycling" or to "settle spikes"...you either haven't read the links previously posted or you didn't understand them.

If you've been adding an ammonia source (shrimp or pure ammo), and have introduced fish during this process...it is a deadly environment for your fish. I'm not familiar with temperature conversion, but if you have the heater cranked up for cycling...that is also a problem.

If there are ammonia levels you've added to the water, depending on how high they are, you need to do MASSIVE pwc's ASAP.

Since you have fish in the tank, address the problems you have and please read these next two articles. If you don't understand...ask questions. Adding fish when you are unsure of the process is the absolutely last thing you should have done. Sorry if I sound rude

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html

Back
Top Bottom