Water pump for water changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im looking for a powerful pump that i can attach 2 hoses to for water changing, alot of the pumps im finding need to be fully submerged but i want to be able to move this around and my water barrels dont have a big enough hole to get the pump inside. Has anyone done this?

Im looking for a powerful pump that i can attach 2 hoses to for water changing, alot of the pumps im finding need to be fully submerged but i want to be able to move this around and my water barrels dont have a big enough hole to get the pump inside. Has anyone done this?
Hey molliwopp, I just wanted to subscribe to your thread as I am looking for the same thing and need some advice on how to set it up.......

Put the pump in a bucket this serves the purpose of portability,storage and possible drip or leak containment, then add in the largest primer bulb you can find to prime the pump, you can coil the hose up in the bucket when not in use and just flush it out with treated water before use

You could also look into a little giant sump pump with a length of hose and just hang the pump in the tank to pump out and then you can just drop the pump into your container of prepared water to fill back up

Sorry just re-read the first post, have you thought of taking a sawzall to you water barrels to open up the lids

I cant cut large holes for the pump or the structural integrity wont hold up. There has to be a simple solution im missing

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im not sure that will do the job Ian? This is fhe set up i need and these are the barrels. I use 60litres of water a day everyday so need an easier way. Can buy the needed sized hoses, the 1st being 50cm long to reach the bottom of the barrel and the 2nd 2metres. Any pumps anyone else know of?

Attachments

• 1393198910535.jpg
    1393198910535.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 68
  • 1393198934844.jpg
    1393198934844.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Rather than spending money to find a way around the inconvenience of your water containers maybe put that money toward better containers, unless there is something limiting you to using just these containers

With some aquarium silicone, abit of diy and an old pump i came up with this. 24hr silicone cure and ill try it out!

Attachments

• 1393204374624.jpg
    1393204374624.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 58
Just need something to attach to keep the intake straight.

Google search drill pump. Only draw back from them is that you do actually need a power drill to run them. Can be used to pull water in either direction depending on the placement of the hoses. Very inexpensive options as well.

Im not sure that will do the job Ian? This is fhe set up i need and these are the barrels. I use 60litres of water a day everyday so need an easier way. Can buy the needed sized hoses, the 1st being 50cm long to reach the bottom of the barrel and the 2nd 2metres. Any pumps anyone else know of?
The pump I linked WILL do exactly as you described in your diagram.....

With some aquarium silicone, abit of diy and an old pump i came up with this. 24hr silicone cure and ill try it out!

A piece of straight plastic and some cable ties should do the trick. It is the same set-up as the linked pump would be but if you have a pump already...perfect. You may want to consider a hose clamp(with the screw to tighten it) on the hose on the right of the picture, just for security....

Im going to use it for both, need alittle pre filter maybe too. Im hoping it will be powerful enough to move the amount of water i want quickly enough. Mm well see...

Back
Top Bottom