Water softners and aquariums, safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are water softners safe for aquariums my dad's renovating the basement and is going to be putting a water softner in cause our well water is really hard, I was wondering if they are safe for aquariums or if I'm not going to beable to use it.

Thanks

I read that it is not good to use softened water for aquariums. I have a water softener as well, and I tote water from the I unsoftened spigot (straight well water) in the garage. My well water is extremely hard, so I actually mix it 50/50 with RO water. Maybe your dad can hook you up with a spigot that will bypass the softener.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also am very interested in the ramifications of soft water in the tank.

We have a well with very hard(31grams) water and 1-2ppm iron.
Recently we have orderd a softener and I am planning on using the soft water in the tank. The new softener will be injecting chlorine at the beginning of the process and removing it at the end.

Your father should be sure to inject chlorine also as ALL wells contain bacteria which will clog any filter immediately.

Just to be sure, I am installing an activated carbon filter at the hose bib that fills the tank.

I've been using softened water in my tank for over 2 months now. Fish seem fine, I just use some water conditioner with it every time I change out. I tried using water straight from our well but it had too much iron in it which would oxidize and turn the water yellow.

The kitchen sink won't be hooked up to the softner, not sure why he's doing that but works out for me lol, so if it is a problem I will buy a longer hose for my python water changer and do water changes that way, just want to hear everyone's experiences with it.

No clue what the iron is in my tank but I know my water doesn't turn yellow. My gh is like 22 drops of the api test and kh is 18 drops not sure what ppm that is lost the chart, Ph is 7.5 from the tap

Thanks for the link good info, I might pick up one of those TDS meters see what my water is really like.

Back
Top Bottom