Water Sprite Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I thought it was, but wasn't sure. Here's a quote from The Planted Tank, it may be transitioning from being grown emersed or maybe it just doesn't like what you got going on in your tank.
"When grown emersed it will becomes sturdy with thicker stems and leaves. Growing submerged it adapt and turn into limp and softer plant. Water Sprite can be kept planted or left floating. Propagate by sending out axial shoots, forming tiny plantlets which eventually develop roots and floats away. Some sudden stress will encourage the plant propagate vigorously. medicineman I've grown this plant under 1.5wpg in my 10g tank. Very fast growth both planted and floating. One of the easiest plants I've ever had. Burks In terms of growth, many people--including the plant detail above--consider this plant "easy." I think that only partially true. Oddly enough, it will grow and flourish just fine in one of my smaller tanks, with a lot of natural light, but very little artificial source. Conversely, in my planted tank, with fertilizer dosing, high light output, etc, it ultimately rots away."

This member at the end is responding to some of the other posts
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php?do=view&p=49

Yes I read that I got the plant from Salman so im sure it was grown emersed. The tank its in is dirted I dose 1ml excel daily and comp and leaf zone weekley do you think its one of those plants that just can't handle fertz. I dunno if there are such plants or not.

Yes I read that I got the plant from Salman so im sure it was grown emersed. The tank its in is dirted I dose 1ml excel daily and comp and leaf zone weekley do you think its one of those plants that just can't handle fertz. I dunno if there are such plants or not.

Take what i say with a grain of salt because i am far from a plant guru, but seems to me that everyone just has different experiences with the plant, maybe try letting it float for a little while it might adjust a little easier. I've had the same thing happen to me recently, I bough a pot of HC grown emersed and it melted and rotted within days beyond repair, I took it out , bought another pot and its doing great.

I understand, ill give it untill I do my pwc sunday and if it don't look any better ill try that. If it continues to get worse il stick it in my breeder net and hang it in my cichlid tank since there's no glut or ferts in there. Do you think it could be some kind of deficiency?

It looks odd so I wonder if it is in it's emmersed form. I'd actually just leave it alone for awhile. I've kept water sprite in the 220 under high light/glut/dry fert to keeping in in the cold water goldie tank with low light, no glut/very little ferts and it pretty much grows where I stick it. If the plant hasn't been in the tank very long I would just give it a chance, especially if it is indeed in emmersed form. Sometimes we just need to let things be for awhile so they can adjust on their own. Just something to think about.

Yes patience young padawon....lol.ill find outbid it was emersed or submersed from salman

I'll be curious to see because those leaves just don't look right for immersed. Mine have always had much thinner, wispy leaves.

It was grown completely under water with high light, pressurized co2 and pps pro ferts. I think I rd s just adjusting to the less lighting/ferts.

I think I can help here. I've growing sprite since I started my tank. I bought a flimsy piece from a going out of business lfs.

By it self in my 55 it took over the entire tank literally. This was with stock Aqueon bulbs and no ferts. If you search up some of my threads you'll see pics of it.

Now I just float it and sell the babies off to members. In my experience depending how the plant is grown it will take time to adjust. If planted it will grow outward and upwards with long stems and broad leaves. If floated it will spread outwards with broad very soft leaves and produce tons of babies(usually on older stems and leaves). At this point it will start growing emersed reaching for a light source. The emersed stems are tough with very narrow leaves.

Yours looks like it may have been emersed and will take time to change over. Also because its not a true root feeder try to leave as much of its root system exposed as possible if you go for planted look. Personally I think it grows best floated.

image-717291364.jpg

This is the long trailing root system from being floated.

image-1529699107.jpg

Broad soft leaves floating. All submersed leaves will look like this. Well from my experience anyway.

image-145172177.jpg

This is a good example of an emersed stem. More rigid stem and thinner leaves.

Found part of it floating in the tank today...it'll give u an idea of what its doing. I keep telling myself patience mike patience. LoL

ForumRunner_20130518_154947.jpg

That looks like die off to me. I'm no expert but maybe you have a different variety of water sprite.

I actually researched mine and it seems to fit the growth patterns and descriptions from what I've read.

Try trimming off dying and browning parts and see if that might work.

I'm adding a link I found on YouTube.

This guys stuff looks exactly like mine.

HOW TO GROW WATER SPRITE: Easy Beginner Plant, Species Sunday

That's narrow leaf water sprite, it does have a die off/ melt when added to a new tank.. I have it in my 55 gallon, the stalks will only get so big then start to die back and sprout runners, to the best of my knowledge this is the propagation method of this plant. Also adding root tabs will really help them flourish. Here's my tank you can see it in the middle just to the left of the DW. This was after a hug trimming, it took over the middle portion of the tank.

img_2480401_0_e10413553934297cf0f90821a5a427a7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom