Water sprite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaik

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any way to stop algae from growing on my water sprite i feel like its killing the plant but algae doesn't grow anywhere else in my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

But I want it to grow. Which it is but I feel like the leaves die before they should. In general how long should leaves last?

Picture?
If the plant is that infected with algae, cut it at rhe base about an inch or 2 up and let it regrow in a lower lit spot

How would cutting it all the way back help and in general how long should leaves last ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406321992.614497.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406322008.976924.jpg

You could get some floating plants to shield the sprite a little. Or get anarcharis so you can draw nutrients away from the algae.

Monitor your Nitrates and see how it responds. When you have high nitrates it will explode with growth but will quickly use them up. When that happens the leaves will go yellow and flatten out.

What lighting are you using. What is your photoperiod, What ferts are you using, any CO2, or glute being used? If the plant is healthy, and growing strong, the leaves last a long time. Watersprite does pretty well as a floating plant. try floating a piece of it, and see if it does better than the planted stems. If you get the correct balance of ferts, and lighting, you should have minimal algae issues.
Try experimenting with the photoperiod, and amount of light.

I use hydrogen peroxide, fill a syringe and squirt over the algae, it won't hurt the plants or the fish, but kill algae. I have had some amazing results.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406478893.472501.jpg
Maybe this is a better pic could it be BBa coming back

The faded color of the plant looks like its actually deprived of nutrients. Have you been dosing any ferts?

Some liquid but I can do more. I run a low tech tank so I figured adding some liquid infrequently would suffice because the plants wouldn't grow do fast but it makes a lot of sense why the leaves die so quickly or bud as new plants

Back
Top Bottom