Water Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pirarara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am attempting to set up my first marine tank, a 50 gallon fish only system. When I turn on the lights, the water temperature goes up from 74F to 77F in twelve hours. When the lights go off the water temperature returns to 74F. The lights are two 96W PCs mounted about 3 inches away from the glass top to an open cover. I have not placed any fish in the tank. Is the three degree temperature change in a twelve period excessive?

Do you have a heater on your tank yet? You want to keep your tank between 76 and 80, generally speaking so if you put a heater on and kept it at 78 you shouldn't see a rise in tank temp.

Welcome to AA :D

Try and keep the fluctuations to 2 degrees if you can (78-80 is perfect IMO). With the use of a heater, you should be able to.
Of course keeping in cool in the summer may become another issue.

Do your lights have a cooling fan? If you remove the glass top it may help to release some of the heat and keep it a consatnt temp. Use the tank heater to bring the temp up to the desired temp and try to minimize change from the lighting.

yup 78-80.5 is fine... make sure the temp doesnt fluctuate, that causes stress!

Back
Top Bottom