Water test and fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginnerfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am new and I have my tank setting up and cycling. I have a 20 gallon tall. No fish yet of course. I have the pictures that I will attach and I am unsure if I am good with these numbers. The test had a high and low pH test and I think I'm right by seven but not sure. Also, the temperature of my tank keeps staying above the IMG_20170720_222341.jpg 80 degree mark. That was after a few hours of the heater being off. Tonight I'm plugging the heater back in to see what happens when I wake up. Is that temp too high? And can anyone weigh in on my water test. I basically did the twenty gallons with a half cap full of prime or whatever the water conditioner is to get rid of hard stuff in the water and I also used the yellow bottle of start plus bacteria thing which I forgot the name of. More pictures attached. The bubbles all over the sides of the tank are disappearing. Everything seems to be going well, just want to double check. Thanks a ton. This is probably for a second post but I love angle fish and tiger barbs but it seems like with my twenty gallon tank I really cant have either of them. Is that the case, or is it possible?IMG_20170720_221941.jpgIMG_20170720_221742.jpgIMG_20170720_222428.jpg

Sorry I have the water samples on the carpet which is dark and probably doesn't give as good of a view...

Will probably take 4-6 weeks to cycle your tank. Patience is the key, keep a written record and test every other day.

78-80 is OK for temp.

Last edited:
Will probably take 4-6 weeks to cycle your tank. Patience is the key, keep a written record and test every other day.

78-80 is OK for temp.
Ok thank you, what am I looking for specifically in testing to know it is good? Just looking for it to have ammonia spikes followed by nitrate and nitrites ? Will that happen just with water and that bacteria I put in? Also, do you have an opinion on the fish I can fit in there?

1/2 of Prime is 20 gallons is way too much. Not sure what the impact of that high a treatment might be. You may want to call Seachem customer service.

You have to feed the bacteria you just introduced. Ammonia. But with all the Prime in there I'm not sure if any will be available. You will need to add ammonia daily to build up the bacteria.

Your ammonia test should be green when you first begin cycling.

Last edited:
1/2 of Prime is 20 gallons is way too much. Not sure what the impact of that high a treatment might be. You may want to call Seachem customer service.

You have to feed the bacteria you just introduced. Ammonia. But with all the Prime in there I'm not sure if any will be available. You will need to add ammonia daily to build up the bacteria.

Your ammonia test should be green when you first begin cycling.
Oh no! I thought I read that the prime was one cap for 50 gallons do I did about half. So should I do a big water change? Also, the ammonia should be high right away? Is there a specific brand of ammonia to add?

Oh no! I thought I read that the prime was one cap for 50 gallons do I did about half. So should I do a big water change? Also, the ammonia should be high right away? Is there a specific brand of ammonia to add?

My bad. I thought I read you out in 1/2 CUP. Lol

1/2 cap is fine.

Back
Top Bottom