water test results/food/water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
No nitrites but we have nitrates?

My tank is in the cycling process it is a 28 gallon tank with an Aquaclear 20 and Aquaclear 50. It has been cycling for 2 weeks. This mornings tests read:
Ph 8
Ammonia .5
Nitrites 0
Nitrates look like they are between 0 and 5.

We have never read nitrites on this tank and the first time the ammonia hit 1 was last night. Do those readings sound right?

Has anyone had any trouble with the aqua clear biomax making their tank cloudy? We have had a cloudy tank and are not sure if it is the cycling or the filter.

Any help is appreciated thanks! :)
Jana

Last edited:
The tank could be cloudy as a result of a bacterial bloom, which is not uncommon in a new set up. Because of the relatively high ammonia reading, I would change half of the water.

At only 2wks in, you still have a ways to go- fishin cycling can take 6-8wks or possibily even longer. You are just in the first phase right now (amm spike). The cloudiness is most likely a bacterial bloom which is common in newly cycling tanks. Some extra water changes should reduce the cloudiness. Just stay on top of your daily testing & water changes to reduce toxin levels & feed lightly. Adding some cycled media will help to speed things up. :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Ok thanks we will continue to stay on top of it. I got some pH down at the store today. Both of our tanks are at an 8 and I read the betta would like a 7 and the neons would like 6.5. Are there any gotchas I need to look out for when putting that in the tank?

Thanks again for all the help.

Please do not add ph chemicals- you are setting yourself up for inevitable disaster. Fish are capable of adapting to most phs unless they are extreme (above 9 or below 6) and your fish are already adapted to your ph so you dont need to worry!

Back
Top Bottom